Thursday, January 26, 2012

Around the House

Today I'm enjoying what is likely my last Thursday off until mid-April and it's gray and rainy.  It's a good day to show you how I use my quilts around our home.  My beginning students often ask, "What do you do with all your quilts" so here is a sample. 

As we worked with an architect to design this home about 13 years ago, I was adamant about where I wanted the windows, electric plugs (floor locations), etc.  I had to stand my ground against the architect and my husband but when it was done they both agreed I was right.  Well, they didn't exactly use that word, but the idea was the same.  Things came together once our stuff was in there. 


Living Room, the gold wall color is perfect with this quilt--a happy accident.  I spent 7 years working on this.  It's hand appliqued and hand quilted.  It won Best of Show, our guild show 2011.

Another shot of the living room, facing the fireplace.



Master Bedroom shots.  There are 3 quilts on the bed, you only see two.  We recently moved to this king-size bed so the Texas Braid was made to fit it.  The brown quilt folded at the foot of the bed is one of my favorite. It's a replica of a very old top I found in an antique store. It has a wool batt which is wonderful for snuggling under on a cold winter's night.

This is the Non-Guest Room. The pile of quilts would take a while to put away if someone actually needed to sleep here.  I call it the Archaeological dig--newest on top, older the farther down you go.
The Real Guest room--only 2 quilts on this bed so it's easy to use.  The red quilt is the 2009 Block of the Month from www.thequiltshow.com , a Sue Garman design.  When I can convince the husband to assist me, I plan to hang it in the living room, above the red sofa. 

Just so you can see I don't do ONLY traditional quilts.  The blue quilt is from my "Japanese design" period and hangs in the real guest room.  The long one features a 3D beaded dragonfly I made in a beading class with Nancy Eha.  Love this piece and it hangs in the kitchen where I see it every day.


That's it for now.  There are more, of course, but I'll save those for another time.  How do you use quilts in your home?  I'd love to know.

Let's Quilt!

Barbara



9 comments:

  1. Great tour of your home and quilts, Barbara!! You do such lovely work. I think I've given most of my completed work away as gifts or whatnot. I have my first quilt and a challenge quilt and lots of quilted table toppers and runners! But I plan on changing that up a little in 2012!! Thank you for sharing ... I'm inspired!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quilts that you get to live with Barbara!! Thanks for sharing all the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful quilts Barbara. I especially like the one on your guest room wall. I have that pattern on my list to do one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have quilts of varying sizes in every room of my house, including the bathrooms! My husband like that my "artwork" is visible...very supportave of my obsession!
    Sherry
    ipquilter1@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy seeing quilts used in such pretty and various ways in homes. Please be sure to show us more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilts are beautiful. How wonderful to live in a home so filled with color! I really enjoyed the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! What wonderful quilts and they are displayed magnificently. They add wonderful depth and beauty to your home. I have all mine hanging somewhere in my house, but they are mostly smaller than yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That says it all! How beautiful your quilts look in your home. Is the rocker actually covered with a quilt or is it just draped?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilts are so pretty. You've done a great job displaying them in your home, Barbara. I am proud to know you!

    ReplyDelete