Monday, October 8, 2012

Design Wall Monday October 8, 2012

It's been a busy week--as I get closer to Houston, the list seems to get longer.  Everything on the list will get done in the next two weeks but it's going to take some doing.

I made my two garments for Houston.  Each year we are given fabric from one or two companies, and we all select the colors and patterns we want, from the same line. We can make what we want, and on the assigned day we all wear the same line.  Because the colors and styles are different, we don't look the same but we do appear to be "staff"--good for helping people in the crowds.  And it makes it fairly easy to pack for almost 2 weeks--several black slacks and a bunch of tops and I'm good to go with my jackets.  Here they are:



Fabrics from Troy Corporation, designed by Marcia Derse.   The print is an old one and a real favorite of mine.
Fabrics from Moda, designed by Brigitte Heitland.  This jacket pattern is not my favorite--bad thing to learn once I've cut into the fabric. 

Then I made a gift for a friend--can you tell what it is?  My husband's first guess was a strawberrry, then he guessed a pomegranate.  No to both.  Can you tell?  If not, maybe this isn't such a great gift after all...



Lastly, I made the Grandmother's Choice block for this past Saturday and began to join the blocks to tegether with a 1" finished sashing.  By reading all the information posted on Barbara Brackman's block of the week, I'm learning a lot about the suffragist movement--very interesting!


I've still got 4 Just Takes 2 blocks to get done before the October 15 batch shows up.  Only have therapy once this week and am seeing good progress on the knee.  It's turned much cooler--I think everyone is happy with that! 

Be sure to see what other folks have been doing on Judy L's blog.

Let's quilt!

Barbara

4 comments:

  1. Well of course I know what that is ... it's a PUMPKIN!!!! My favorite!! And I can assure you that it will be a very lovely gift for its intended! Your garments are marvelous, Barbara!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I guess it could also be an apple? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok - had to laugh at Denise's answer - I would say an apple - and I would be happy with it as a gift no matter what. Expressionism......... Oh, haven't garment sewn in a long time, so koodos!!

    ReplyDelete