Monday, April 29, 2013

Red and White Excitement


During 2012 I worked on the Just Takes 2 Block of the Month designed by Gay Bomers of Sentimental Stitches and Brenda Papadakis of Dear Jane.  They released patterns twice a month for all 12 months of the year.  The patterns were free for a month then could be purchased.  They are still available here. 

They decided to do this after attending the 2011 exhibit "Infinite Variety" in New York.  Knowing they could never make all the red and white quilts they saw there, they figured it would be fun to make a single block of many of those featured.  More info about that exhibit can be found here.

The Top, 104" x 110"

It was a long process but I kept up most of the time and then finished with a complex pieced border I designed.  I kept track of all the fabrics I used and the number of pieces:  59 different fabrics and 2770 pieces. 

This was one of those quilts that deserves a great quilter so I sent it to a wonderful longarm quilter in California:  Pamela Dransfeldt, the Joyful Quilter.  I found Pam when a Facebook friend posted a link to her work in 2009.  We collaborated on a quilt that year: 

Joyful Journey

She did a spectacular job on this quilt so I knew my Just Takes 2 was in good hands with her.  She's been working on it for almost 2 weeks now and has posted amazing photos.  I have been blown away with the interest that has been shown on Facebook by so many people.  Here are a few of her photos:
 


 
 
You can follow Pam's incredible work on Facebook--her page is Joyful Quilter.  She has quite a few more photos of this quilt as well as most of her customer's quilts  She's a terrific person with a terrific, supportive husband too.  I feel so fortunate to have found her--the internet has certainly made this a smaller world--or maybe it's a bigger world.  Either way, I'm glad I can introduce her to you.
 
Let's quilt!
 
 
Barbara




6 comments:

  1. Barbara, you and Pam have created another masterpiece! Looking forward to seeing it "in person".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following Pam's (Joy) quilting on this one on FB & each day I am in awe of her designs while wondering who pieced the quilt to begin with! Now I know! Congratulations on a beauty to behold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, it looks fabulous!!! YAY!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, can't wait to see it! Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, how beautiful!!The quilting just sets off your beautiful work so well. [It is so inspiring to see yours at this stage - I must keep working on mine.]

    ReplyDelete