Monday, September 18, 2017

On The Road Again

Just can't wait to get on the road again! Soon I'll be heading to Panama City, FL to give a trunk show and teach a two-day workshop. It will be wonderful to BE there, doing what I dearly love, but the GETTING there, ah, there is the rub.

First, since my lecture is a trunk show, I had to decide which quilts to take, which have good stories, or make a strong visual statement about me and my work. Having decided that, I make written Notes so I have the correct information: dates made, pattern if not my original design, who quilted it if not me, etc. Fortunately, I am diligent in putting printed labels on all my quilts to provide that information. You may think you won't forget, but I'm  here to tell you, you will.

Now, how many suitcases do I need and will they all fit? As I'm driving that's not quite as big a deal as it is when flying. A really BIG suitcase and a smaller one will do it if I squish them down flat. I'm sorry quilts, to have to squish you so, I'll make it up to you by laying you out flat when I get you back home. And one of you will get the honor of going on my hotel bed:


See, they all made it, about a dozen bed size quilts and a couple smaller ones:


Just when I think I'm done, I look around a see a few more--surely, it won't hurt to throw these small ones in too, they're little, they'll fit:



Then there is the paperwork, invoice, receipts, handouts, and my personal handwork I never leave home without:


In prepping for every class I teach, I review in detail my handout and all the various steps to the process so I sound like I know what I'm talking about. This always gets me excited and eager to get in front the students and get them going. We DO have fun in my classes. I've been teaching for 30 years so I'm not an overnight success.

Now, what am I forgetting? Oh, yes, my clothes and personal items. They go in another suitcase, after I figure out exactly what I'm wearing and make sure every outfit is clean and ready to go.

Sorry to say I forgot to take any photos at the first session of Long Time Gone that started this past Saturday. There are 13 happy students on this 6-month adventure. In class, I do the demo sewing and explain how to make that month's assigned blocks, they bring fabric to cut and prep in class and sew at home. It worked very well and I kept to the exact 3 hour schedule, getting in everything I wanted to explain. Sometimes you find you need more time so things get a bit rushed, but this seemed to be just enough time. Next month I'll be sure to take photos of their "homework".  Here's my finished sample:

Long Time Gone, a pattern by Jen Kingwell Designs

And I am making a second one of these as part  of this 6 month class:


I hope you are making something that makes you happy--let's quilt!

Barbara

2 comments:

  1. My goodness but you are well organized. Guess you have to be, but I think even if I had to be I wouldn't get to the level you have! Love your Long Time Gone. I am working on a Gypsy Wife. Lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you have a ton of experience! I'm going to order a rolling tote bag that Bonnie suggested to transport my quilts to lectures.
    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete