Thursday, November 9, 2017

Just a Bit of Houston 2017

I am still in "recovery mode" from my 13 amazing days in Houston at Quilt Market and Quilt Festival.

You can find much better photos of all the winning quilts here. In reality, I saw only a few of them as my time on the show floor is quite limited. Here you will get just a taste of what I did see over the 13 days I enjoyed in the great state of Texas.

The first quilt I went to see is mine--in case I never got back downstairs again:



Then I went right to the next exhibit I had to see. There were 75 quilts in this exhibit, here are just a few:









Sue was designing and drafting this pattern in November 2015 when we spent a week together at a private teacher's retreat in Virginia Beach. It took my breath away to see it completed:




This is what brought me to tears:


Oh, Sue, how I miss you! The love and admiration that was shown to you at this show is beyond description. You live on in all of us who were lucky enough to know you or your work.

Another exhibit I took a moment to see was the work of Danny Amazonas:





I was thrilled that a mostly "traditional" quilt won Best of Show:




And my favorite view of Houston is the view from my Hilton Americas hotel room:


Just to the right of the Marriott Marquis hotel, that tall building in the center back, is Minute Maid stadium, where I understand there were some baseball games played while we were there. I did not step outdoors for 9 consecutive days so the World Series didn't bother me in the least. Houston was abuzz with excitement and they had a big parade while we were there--several blocks from the Convention Center. Restaurants were crowded but that's always the case during Market and Festival.

Here is the gang I hang out with in  all our finery:





And at our Farewell Dinner Sunday night, at Pappasitas, those of us who stay over for Monday departure. It's a good thing this shot is a bit blurry, because so are we:


Now that I've had 8 hours of sleep for the first time in 2 and a half weeks, I can't wait to do it all again NEXT YEAR!

Let's quilt!

Barbara

3 comments:

  1. So happy this year was much better all the way around. Love seeing your stars quilt in the show too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt looks great hanging there.
    Sue's quilts really call to me. I have never made one, but have admired every design of hers I have seen.
    Fun to see your group in their coordinating outfits. I can see you in all of them and Lori in a couple of the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Star Quilt is so Fabulous! I wish I could see it in person.
    Looks like you had a great time. It is on my must do list for 2018

    ReplyDelete