Friday, April 20, 2018

International Quit Festival Chicago 2018

Last week was Spring Festival in Chicago, brought to you by the folks who run Fall Festival--in Houston. While it's a nuch snaller show than the Mother of All US Quilt Shows (Houston) it is great to be able to see all the vendors and all the quilts, if you choose.

This nice woman posed at the "Photo Opportunity Tree", right by Open Studios, so she could show her friends she was having a great time.

I look forward to this show because here I get to present at Open Studios, a two-hour lecture/demo class on the show floor, free to any who wish to grab a chair and learn, while they rest.. In previous years I've discussed String Piecing so this year it was a new topic: Tips and Tricks for Beautiful Bindings:

I gave this talk four times in three days, the last day giving two sessions back to back, 10-noon and Noon-2. Even with water I was a little "croaky" at the end of the second session. Each year there are several local attendees who make a  point to see my presentation and several women from the Illinois Quilters Inc, where I taught last month, came up to say hello.See more about that visit here: Illinois Quilters Inc.

Nona brought her quilt top from our class Feathered Stars Precisely Paper Pieced:

Wonderful job, Nona!

And fun to see my "hostess" from ILI--Sue S:  

These working trips are so much fun for me because of the PEOPLE I get to see and talk to, many are friends from years of working these shows, faculty and vendors, Quilts Inc. employees, as well as attendees.

Here are a few photos of quilts at this show, starting with my own. This quilt was included in the Special Exhibit "In the American Tradition, Pieced", it was on exhibit in Houston last Fall and will now be coming home to me. It's one of my favorites:
About 96" square



I am captivated with Millefiori quilts, though I doubt I'll ever make one. This won a prize in the Celebration of Color competition:




A favorite quilt I do hope to make one day:



Upcoming Special Exhibits you can enter include the BIG Sapphire Celebration at International Quilt Festival Houston, 2019--the 45th anniversary of Festival. Got a blue and white quilt? Enter it later this year for consideration:




Are Landscape quilts more your style? Hurry and enter this Special Exhibit, entries close May 3, 2018:





I'll finish with photos from our two special events. Friday night was the final Iron Quilter Challenge, #10. It was won by Charlotte Angotti and her team, Angotti's Avengers:

Saturday night was Last Course, the reveal of the Progressive Classes taught by Charlotte Angotti, Debbie Caffrey-Batey, and Karen K Stone. Each teacher taught a one day class that could stand on its' own OR you could take two or three of the classes and create a cohesive quilt. The fabrics were provided in a kit, all you have to do is show up ready to sew. These have been very successful, whether the students took one, two or all three days of classes:

This Year's Chicago Progressive Quilts, made by the Teachers


 Prior year quilts are equally stunning:



Mark your calendar for nest year's Spring Festival in Chicago, March 28-30, 2019.

Let's quilt!

Barbara

7 comments:

  1. So many pretty quilts. I love that Millefiori one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful! 10-2 is a long time to keep talking!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am surprised you have any voice left at all, Barbara! Looks like a great experience.
    Really love your Stars in a Time Warp quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a great time - but that is a lot of talking time.
    Your Star quilt is just great

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for letting us be a part of the IQF - Chicago. Railroad crossing is on my to do list also. I like your Medallion quilt so much, I bought the Hewson vase when you first showed us yours. It is stunning. Reading about these challenges that are open to quilters, it would be nice if someone would list them for us to consider more seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, here is the page with info about the Quilts Inc. upcoming Special Exhibits:
      http://quilts.com/enter-a-quilt.html

      I don't know if AQS or the Mancuso shows do special exhibits though both have judged contests at their shows. Check their websites for more info.

      Delete