Sunday, June 24, 2018

Canyon Quilters of San Diego

Recently, I had the pleasure of visiting this guild to teach and lecture. While this had been planned for more than a year, it was extra special that the weather there was perfect, 70 or so, when it was in the upper 90's at home in Alabama.

We started the visit with a full day workshop of Smitten. About 20 students spent their Sunday with me, learning how to make hexagon blocks and Y seams. Here is the class production at the end of the day:

 A few shots of students in action:

Love having young students in class

Sylvia and Cathy hard at it

Karen just kept sewing and sewing...

Striped fabric adds bang for your buck

Notice her first block on the wall above her head
The class was held on a Sunday at Rosie's Calico Cupboard--what a great shop! I highly recommend a visit should you find yourself in San Diego. Here are just a few shots, so much more too:







Monday night the guild met and I gave the lecture, "Time Management for Quilters". They have a CFO--Chief Fun Officer--who determines each month what the theme will be. Those who dress up to support the theme get their name in the hat for some great quilt shop gift certificates. June was "Bridal Month", interpret that however you like. How about a Zombie Bride:

Or the bride on her Honeymoon:

Or a real bride, gown bought at a thrift shop and a perfect fit:

The entire group of good-natured participants:
Just before the lecture, the workshop students showed off their blocks:

I brought quilts to share:

Occasionally, I am asked if I get "scared" speaking to large groups. The answer is "No" when the topic is quilts. The only challenge is can we get the technical side to work--connecting my PowrPoint on my Ipad to the projector. This building had a top-notch built-in system and a 20-year old who knew how to make it all work. With the connection of AppleTV and a few clicks, my Ipad was flawlessly displayed on the large screen--easiest technical hook-up so far.

Thanks to the Canyon Quilters for San Diego for a terrific visit. I  hope you appreciate that glorious weather!

Let's quilt.

Barbara


12 comments:

  1. Looks like a fabulous time! Would also love to have their weather here in southern IL. Looking at close to 100 again by the end of the week. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was spectacular. Here we are cooler now due to storms.

      Delete
  2. Those Canyon Quilters were smart to have signed you up!! You are a great presenter, and such a wonderful teacher. My guild really enjoyed your presentation and workshops. Thanks too for the tip about that cool quilt shop in San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, what a lovely shop! And a great group of ladies, too, it looks like! Glad you enjoyed their spectacular weather...one of the things I enjoyed most about being stationed in San Diego! I know they enjoyed having you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to visit that shop. Love San Diego! Looks like the class and lecture were a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't been to San Diego since I was a child, and my family was living in California, but I would love a chance to visit that shop.
    Your class looks great, as usual, and the guild appears to be a fun group.
    BTW, I finally caved this weekend and bought the Long Time Gone pattern. Don't know when I will get to it, but I blame you. :) Your quilts and classes have tempted me too many times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks again for coming Barbara. Canyon Quilters LOVED having you! Still working on my time management skills!
    Gaye

    ReplyDelete