Sunday, July 27, 2014

Family Reunion Food--Oh, My!

How do you eat smart at the annual Family Reunion?  Here are what the tables looked like--all this for about 40 people:

Front of the Line

End of the Line looking back toward the chicken

Half the Desserts
 

More Desserts
 

My Plate

 
In thinking about this all week prior to the event, I decided to just take the side items first--no chicken up front.  I'm sure there are quite a few calories on this plate but it's all so good and so not the way I cook--once a year it's OK to enjoy all this yummy country food.  Notice--one piece of fried summer squash--I fry nothing in my kitchen--but one piece won't kill me.   

I did not take a picture of my dessert plate--yes, I caved for some dessert.  But it all tasted so sweet, including the blackberry cake I made, that I ate less than half what I selected and called it quits.  And later that evening, at home for dinner, I had plain tomatoes and cucumbers from my garden, a small scoop of the potato salad from the reunion and an eighth of a delicious cantaloupe we bought at a farmer's produce stand on the way home--yum!

Since the end of tax season I've lost 24 pounds, by eating healthy most of the time and walking every day.  Feeling better helps my quilting and the rest of my life too, of course.  It's a good start.

Let's Quilt!

Barbara

3 comments:

  1. Good for you, Barbara! You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! And good to see you yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! You've inspired me to take a walk today.

    ReplyDelete