Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Quilters Select Rulers, Mats and Rotary Cutters

Sometimes a new product comes along you have to try to love. Last Fall at the 2016 Fall Quilt Market in Houston, I was introduced to new rulers, mats and a rotary cutter under the brand name Quilters Select. Alex Anderson is the face of these products and she showed them to me.

I bought the large and small mats, several rulers and the rotary cutter:


What I love:

1. The mats have a light gray and a dark gray side, perfect for any fabric

2. The mats have a solid feel but also feel almost soft--hard to explain but very nice to cut on.

3. The rulers have lines that are easy to read and a wonderful non-slip coating on the bottom side. My cutting is much more accurate and I am very unlikely to slip when cutting. The yellow color is good to use on any color fabric.

4. The rotary cutter is heavy--most people say that the minute they put in in their hand. They think they won't like it but I'm here to tell you, that extra heft makes the cutting easier, and requires less pushing with your hand and shoulder. AND changing a blade is a snap--a magnet keeps it in place and it is impossible to assemble incorrectly. Left and right handed folks can use it from the start, simply slip the protective guard in the proper position for you. Easy!

At Spring Market new sizes of the rulers were added. Here is the Current List. Great sizes for everyone.

Don't believe me? Watch Alex show you their amazing features Quilters Select Video with Alex Anderson.  Try them, you'll like them.

As a teacher, especially for beginning quilters, I see students struggle to handle the rulers and use a rotary cutter, often for the first time. These products really help them cut accurately. The difference is noticeable to me as a teacher. 

I encourage you to try these out as you are in the market for new rulers/mats/cutters. You will be surprised at how nice these tools are.  By the way, they also have lovely cotton threads, 60 wt. and 80 wt. I love these too but will save that for another post.

Let's Quilt!

Barbara

5 comments:

  1. I bought a large mat and a 6x12 (my fav size) ruler. The ruler is stellar and I would like more sizes. However, the mat has a slippery surface and so fabric is prone to sliding. I became very frustrated and it slowed down my cutting. I went back to my Olfa mat. Hmmm, as most quilters know: mats are very expensive and had I known about the slippery, I would have applied my money towards rulers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you had trouble. I find the mat very secure and don't have any slipping issues.

      Delete
    2. I also have one of these mats and find it to be the best one I have. No slipping with rulers or mat.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen these anywhere, and am inclined to want to touch and feel before buying a new product. I will keep my eyes open for them at the next quilt show vendor mall I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to try out the new ruler I rec'd! I love the back is a tiny bit rough to prevent slipping.

    ReplyDelete