Sunday, March 25, 2018

Long Time Gone Students Work

Long Time Gone is a wrap. A six month, once a month class, we wrapped up . They did the sewing at home, I demoed the various blocks each month, offering options for piecing where appropriate, like paper piecing more of the blocks, not just the one pineapple block provided in the pattern.

We talked about border options and the quilting at this last  class. Here are the student results, before borders are added.

Holly
Cyndi

Rhonda

Joan--she has more of this beauty at home

Ina--last section almost done

Suzanne--30's are so lovely and unexpected for this, she has more at home

Mac--not much more to go, one background for the whole quilt unites the fabrics into a cohesive design

Cheryl--one last section to go
Five students were not able to be there. They all put in a tremendous amount of effort during this time and they learned a lot. Some learned paper piecing was not the enemy, but has a place in quiltmaking. One woman said she has been quilting since she was little, very traditional, symmetrical type quilts--this quilt brought out her WILD side!  Several felt more free in choosing colors/fabrics now. Some learned small piecing was not for them. One said she now knows scrap-type quilts are not her favorite. It's always good to learn something from each quilt you make OR class you take. Even if what you learn is I NEVER want to do that again!

As for me, I have now made two of these and that's enough. My first,  made last year, to test the pattern and plan the class:


The second, made during this six-month class, using a kit ordered from Homestead Hearth. During each class I showed how the various blocks were made, offering options when appropriate. I provided paper patterns for blocks that could be done that way. My top was finished the night before the final class, after a long week of planning, math calculations and piecing and piecing and piecing. It is  now close to queen size:


The design I created in Electric Quilt 8 as I was figuring out what kind of borders I wanted to add:


This quilt is called Long Time Gone and is a pattern by Jen Kingwell Designs, an Australian designer. Here we are at Market last year:


I hope to see these students in future classes--a long time journey like this makes not just quilts, but friendships too.

Let's Quilt!

Barbara


7 comments:

  1. Having made one of these myself, I can identify with all your students comments. Thank you sharing their quilts all in one post. It's amazing to see how different, yet beautiful, they all came out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each one wonderful, each one unique. Good job, class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All quilt tops look really pretty. Seeing the students' chosen colors and fabrics is really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your students did an outstanding job! They are all beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always interesting to see what a difference the choice of fabrics can make in the personality of a quilt.
    I really like your border treatment on this second one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had such a wonderful time in this class! I improved my piecing accuracy (trim to perfection), became more confident in paper piecing, and learned so much from Barbara and my classmates. I couldn't be happier with my finished product, and was very grateful for the many tips and tricks that made finishing this quilt possible.

    ReplyDelete