Friday, May 4, 2018

My Favorite Things


At the conclusion of the six-month Long Time Gone class I taught from September-March, I was surprised when the 13 students asked me to come up with another six-month class so they could keep coming. I figured they would be glad to have their one Saturday a month back. No, they wanted more.

SO, I got to work on this:  My Favorite Things.

Six classes, about 2.5 hours each, one Saturday a month from June to November, 2018. Each month we will focus on one of my favorite blocks, how to make them, how to use them. No sewing in class--I bring my machine to demo the process. They will get a comprehensive handout and I will bring lots of quilts each month, definitely a "Show and Tell".

The students have plenty of choices. They can make "units" each month to be used to create the quilt shown here. That is one possibility. OR they can make separate, small quilts each month featuring that month's blocks. Whatever they want to do with the knowledge they gain, is fine by me.

Here are my fabrics for this large quilt, washed and pressed and ready to go:

The past few days I've spent a lot of time designing the quilt and writing the handouts. Now the fun part--I get to sew it!

There are advantages with this kind of "no-sew" class:

Students will learn so much more than they expect to improve all their quilting skills
All sewing is done at home, no need to bring equipment to class
Friendships are built in long-term classes

Handouts and patterns are provided in class--listen, take notes, ask questions, learn

For information and to sign up for this class, go to Huntsville Sew and Vac. Hurry, space is limited to no more than 20 students--class begins Saturday June 9, 2018.

Let's Quilt!

Barbara


2 comments:

  1. That is how my first class was. We learned all the tricks, took notes, got handouts and our homework was to sew!! It's a great format.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This goes to show how good you are at teaching, when your students beg for more.
    It is a great design, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete