Sunday, January 22, 2023

COLOR OR CONTRAST?

 As you are reading this, I am finishing up a 3+ day trip to the Needlechasers Guild of Iuka, MS. We are at their annual Retreat--at Pickwick State Park Lodge in Counce, TN.

There is a great statement I learned about quiltmaking years ago on a episode of "Simply Quilts" with Alex Anderson. "Color gets all the credit, but Contrast does all the work!"

I made this top years ago to prove the point. Each of these blocks is sewn in the EXACT SAME WAY--meaning all the pieces are exactly the same size and in the same location. 

It is the placement of light, medium and dark value fabrics that determines what you see:

I really like blocks that appear hard to figure out. And color and contrast can make that work for you.

Here is a simple quilt that is special because of placement of contrasting fabrics: Simply Serene , pattern available on Etsy:


Here is a very simple antique top I bought years ago for the lovely collection of old fabrics. It was only when I hung it on the design wall to photograph that I saw the distinct pattern that was no accident:


Here are some Western Sun star blocks made the first day of our Needlechasers Guild retreat. In most, the star is prominent. But in a few, you have to really look to see it. We call these “Maverick” blocks, same design, color and contrast determine what you see:

The next time you want to just PLAY, take a favorite block and change the color/contrast layout. See how many versions you can make that are different.

Let Contrast do some of the work for you as you make great quilts.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

4 comments:

  1. That is a great idea! I watched Alex when she was on Cable and that is how I learned how to quilt - she had the top of the line Designers, Appliquer's and Piecers that were wonderful teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those four blocks look amazingly different. Good lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post on an important subject. Your example in the top photo really tells the story. I made a churn dash quilt where I played with the value placement and it makes such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGoodness - I forgot that saying - I learned it as "Color gets all the credit, but value does all the work" . I remember when I first understood the concept, it was a HUGE "Ah-Ha" moment. Now every single quilt I do a value study rather than worry to much about color. If the values are right, the design will be right. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete