Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Strings--Save Our Scraps!

Recently. I taught a stings class at a local quilt shop. There were piles of strings to play with and lots of fun was had as small amounts of our precious stash was turned into something useful. The class sample was a suggestion:


I have written about Strings several times before, String Blocks and String Block Swap Tutorial are just a few posts about this fast and fun method. When you just want to sew and you don't want to think too hard, this is perfect. AND you can use a FREE QUILT NOTION you probably already have:  telephone books, the paper is perfect for this.

First I showed the students lots of design ideas for how to use scrap strings. Most of them decided to go with the class sample for their project.

One of the employees brought a huge bag of her strings to donate--the students could have whatever they wanted from the pile:


After lunch I put those away and dumped the large tote bag full of my strings I brought to share:

Since this bag is not nearly as heaped full as when I brought it, looks like they got some good stuff. Why are other people's scraps more exciting than our own?

A few class photos:

Marje working with Christmas fabrics

Donna making a pillow to match her bedroom

Anne also worked in Christmas fabrics

Pam had fun playing with cheerful fabrics


Marje's Christmas Star is coming together

Donna--Center Option 1?

Or Center Option 2?
 I had a pile of blocks I received in a swap years ago. This seemed a good time to sew them together. Here it is quilted and bound and washed, I will donate it to our guild's "Comfy Quilt" program. It's only 30" x 50" but that's OK, good for a small child as a floor quilt:


 Detail of the simple quilting, great for practice:



Sewing strings is also a great way to sew with a child--they can easily sew strings you cut for them, and if you have a Featherweight or other small, fairly simple machine, they will quickly get into this and have fun.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

3 comments:

  1. Other quilters scraps are fresh and fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that is such fun! I love Marje's Christmas offering. It's tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some fun quilts here. I love the look of string quilts, but don't enjoy working with them very much. My one string quilt project has been hiding in my closet for years. If I could come to your class I would be inspired to finish it up!

    ReplyDelete