Sunday, February 21, 2021

MY JOURNEY: QUILT # 18

 Another quilt from the Special Exhibit My Joyful Journey, part of the Virtual Quilt Festival, December 3-5, 2020.

QUILT #18: RED AND WHITE--BY THE NUMBERS, 88" X 105". machine pieced, hand and  machine applique, longarm quilted by Pam Dransfeldt, 2013



The Story: The other quilt that changed everything and the one I am most known for. I worked on this quilt throughout 2012, a free block of the month from www.justtakes2.com. I kept  track of the number of pieces and fabrics. There are 2770 pieces, including those in my original pieced border design, and 59 different fabrics. I replaced two of the applique' blocks with two of my favorites from Elly Sienkiewicz. The smartest thing I did was have Pam Dransfeldt quilt it.

This quilt was selected as the Commemorative Quilt for the 2014 Ruby Jubilee, celebrating 40 years of International Quilt Festival in Houston. It was featured in all the advertising for the show, on banners throughout the George R Brown Convention Center and the entire downtown of Houston. Truly the highlight of my quilt life. It is in the Corporate Collection of Quilts Inc. 

I tell those who want to know about what this quilt meant to me to read this blog I wrote to try to explain it: Red and White Wrap Up

For lots more detail photos, see this blog written by the late Sue Garman--she stood in front of the quilt for a long time, taking many great photos that I am thrilled to have as I no longer own the quilt: Sue's Look at Houston 2014


Let's quilt.

Barbara

3 comments:

  1. This was stunning and what a thrill that must have been to have the image of your quilt splashed across all of Houston!! And yes, Pam did a phenomenal job!! I have the pattern. Will I ever do it? Time will tell I guess. Maybe I should treat it like a BOM and just do it!! Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when this all went down. So impressive, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an honor for you. Yes it is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete