Sunday, September 18, 2022

Playing With Sticks

 Improv is NOT my middle name. I am known for traditional quilts. In the late 90's I had an "artsy period" where I made a few not-so-traditional quilts, but, for the most part I am comfortable with traditional design.

Alex Anderson is currently providing guidance and encouragement for those who want to try Improv and don't know where to begin. Find all of her LIVE classes on either Facebook--The Quilt Show with Alex and Ricky page OR saved and available any time on The Quilt Show's You Tube Channel--find that here:

The Quilt Show's You Tube Channel.

Here are two improvisational quilts Alex has made:



I like to try new things and Alex's classes have been an easy, gentle way to do that. She is very encouraging and people all around the world have played along. So far, I jumped on the Neutral bandwagon and made a self-portrait:
Where is my Earring?

        
Disappearing Patchwork

The Improv class has started with blocks Alex calls "sticks". They are super easy to make and fun to try. Here is my initial experience making Sticks:


Alex's best advice when trying something totally new: Don't use your best, most precious fabric. Use scraps to learn the technique so you can decide how you want to proceed with your good stuff. These are prints, not solids, and all the fabrics came out of my 4" and 5" scraps shoeboxes. Nothing in these boxes is too precious to use:



These "classes" are FREE for all--she started doing Facebook LIVE when the pandemic hit and she missed being with her "quilting tribe".  Take a look to see if she has something that sparks your interest.

All of Alex's Classes can also be found on The Quilt Show, in Alex's Classroom, under LEARN. You do not have to be a Star Member of The Quilt Show to access these classes. But why wouldn't you be? I learn so much from the shows and love the Block of the Month quilts.

Let's quilt. And try something new.

Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment