Wednesday, November 2, 2022

MY FAVORITE QUILTS # 3

Let's skip way ahead to what I call my "artsy period". There was an ongoing controversy in the quilt world between "traditional" quilts and "art" quilts. Should they be in the same show? Should they compete against each other in judged shows? There always seems to be some controversy in the world of arts/crafts. Today it is between "traditional" and "modern" quilts.

ORIENTAL ONE OF A KIND   2002, 38" x 46"



I have always been inspired by Oriental design and fabrics. I collected a lot of the fabric. This piece includes some antique Yukata fabrics bought in a large bundle of old fabrics. I learned to do beadwork, I did some machine quilting with decorative threads, and there is a bit of hand quilting too.

This is truly an original design. I played with line and angle and color and shape. All that "artsy" stuff that goes into good design, regardless of the medium.

This quilt has hung on the guest room wall since it was finished. I enjoy looking at it but haven't had the urge to make another like it. I returned to my more traditional roots and am comfortable there.

The lesson I learned from this quilt is "you'll never know until you try". And that hand beading is hard on my hands. Try new techniques. Be inspired by other kinds of design. Use those beautiful fabrics you are hoarding.  Find your voice.

Let's quilt.

Barbara


No comments:

Post a Comment