Sunday, February 26, 2023

QUILTERS SELECT 3N1 HALF SQUARE COMBO RULER

 Recently I was asked to make two videos for Quilters Select rulers: the 3n1 Half Square Combo Ruler and the 60 Degree Triangle ruler. They sent me the rulers and I got to work.

Let's look at the 3n1 Half-Square Combo Ruler. I nicknamed this "the Big Ruler that Does Everything":

The QR code on the package makes it easy to find the instructions and projects on the Quilters Select website. Using a fun knob handle on these rulers helps preserve the original non-slip coating. Our hands naturally have oils, maybe hand cream, maybe sanitizer. It really helps to preserve the coating by using a handle: 

I often use this Swamp Angel block for beginners because it uses squares, half square triangles and quarter square triangles--the 3 shapes this ruler is used for:



Let's cut a square for the center:  Add 1/2" to the finished size of the square for the size strip to cut. This is 3 1/2".You can cut squares up to 6 1/2". The fish are already cut, let's make a different center with this blue print:


Now let's cut half square triangles. Again, add 1/2" to the finished size of the unit, a 3 1/2" strip:


The clipped off point makes it easy to chain piece the triangles and not have a point eaten by the machine:

I press to the darker fabric for this block, use the square part of the ruler to be sure it's 3 1/2:"

Now let's make the quarter square units. The math is easy. The finished size of the unit is 3", meaning when it is sewn into the block. Divide that in half: 1 1/2" add 1/2" = cut 2" strips. Here four strips are lined up in pairs, white/green--right sides together and yellow/green--right sides together. Once cut, they are ready to be chain pieced: 


Like any tool, it might take a few times using it to become fully comfortable with it. But this is a keeper in my studio. I am soon going on retreat, followed by the cruise and it's great to know I can take this one ruler in place of 3 small rulers.

Find more information here: Quilters Select Tools

Watch the videos HERE, they start at about 9 minutes in.

Next week I will show the 60 Degree Triangle Ruler.

The Quilt Show Store has a special deal: buy both rulers and get a free Quilters Select Self-Erase Pen, another great tool. Watch for it here: The Quilt Show Store

Let's quilt.

Barbara


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review. I have a couple specialty rulers this looks like it would replace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have their machine quilting ruler. The non-slip coating works really well, better than I expected when I first saw the ruler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Quilters Select rulers. A few years ago when I was gifted a small one by a friend, I became spoiled. Over the next couple of years I gradually replaced my Creative Grid rulers with Quilters Select. I have two of their machine quilting rulers, too. But I haven't seen these specialty rulers anywhere. I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete