Sunday, February 19, 2023

DISAPPEARING PATCHWORK

 Recently I taught a great class locally: DISAPPEARING PATCHWORK at Patches & Stitches:

I made it to challenge myself to make a neutral quilt, well outside my usual comfort zone of brights or deeply saturated colors. 

Class went very well and it is an excellent 6 hour class I am pleased to offer to guilds and shops.

Take a look at the students progress. I was very pleased to see a few students chose to not use neutrals. I was sure this was a good design for any kind of fabric choices; it does help to see it in other fabrics.

Evelyn got away before the group photo but I caught her before she left. She says this was a great "stash buster" as she needs to make a quilt for a tall man and it has to be done soon: 


Melody chose a darker neutral palette and her blocks are coming along. She has a charm pack that was a great addition to the yardage she had: 

Anna a used Tim Holtz map and text fabrics for a very LOW VOLUME quilt. She wants to find a few more of his fabrics to round out her blocks. I love how soft and soothing this is:


These blocks were made by Joan and Evelyn, strangers when class began but kindred spirits. They used several of the same fabrics and their blocks are perfect together:


Playing around I put Anna's lovely soft blocks in the middle and surrounded them with Melody and Patricia's blocks:

Glinda is making a Mardi Gras quilt with several fabrics given to her by a Louisiana friend. Nothing neutral or low volume about this, it's beautiful:


Fortunately, I got a group shot minus Evelyn. Joan on the left had a wonderful day--this was her first class ever, though not her first quilt:

I do love to teach. And it was good to know this makes a fun and educational 6 hour class. Several of the students even learned they put their rotary cutters back incorrectly, which explained why they found accurate cutting a challenge. In almost every class, I reassemble a cutter or two.

Let's quilt.

Barbara


3 comments:

  1. Can you show us a rotary cutter incorrectly put back together - and the correct way? Want to make sure mine are not wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like the class went well, Barbara--but I would expect nothing else from one of your classs.
    Always fun to see a pattern in different fabric choices.
    I am teaching a class for a guild next week on a miniature pattern. I will make sure that they check their cutters and make sure they are correct. Thanks for mentioning that.

    ReplyDelete