Sunday, May 19, 2024

TEACHING ALL OVER

Ten years ago when I retired from H&R Block and the Red and White--By the Numbers quilt put my name out there, I determined to spend the rest of  life teaching what I have learned to do as a quiltmaker to all who wanted to learn. And to continue making quilts for generations yet unborn.

It makes me happy that I get to travel all over the country, seeing new places, making new friends, as I spread my passion and joy as a quiltmaker. The recent Texas Tour 2024 is just a part of that travel.

Teaching locally still happens some. But I am surprised how few people take advantage of my local classes. Coming up this summer I have a few classes offered at Patches & Stitches--enroll in person or by phone today!

Quiltmaking 101 is my beginning class--one I have taught there to thousands of students over the past 35 years. Learn everything a new quilter needs to know in 3 all-day sessions:

with a pieced border

without a pieced border

TWO FOR ONE:   my most favorite class to teach, I call this a "Dorito quilt" because it's hard to make just one. I have made 3 bed size and two teeny-tiny-two-for-one quilts. Do not miss this chance to make this quilt, it won't be offered locally again for the foreseeable future:


SLOW STITCHING:   a brand new 3 hour class on hand piecing--learn how to use found bits of time to create a work of beauty. Learn the Y-seam, easy by hand, and I will also demo and discuss hand quilting, both fine and big stitch--easy and fast:

about 24" square

3 Yard Quilt--Byzantine Door:  want to learn the basics of quiltmaking in JUST ONE DAY? Here is a fast, simple quilt design that can easily be enlarged. Three fabulous fabrics you love make it truly your own:

46" x 61"

Local classes are the lifeblood of local shops. And teachers depend on them. The last few local classes I have offered have been lightly attended or canceled due to not enough students. If you want local classes to continue, please support them. Ask a friend to join you to double the fun and learning. And if you know someone who wants to learn from the beginning, encourage them to take either of my beginning classes discussed here.

Recently I taught FULL CIRCLE--A SPECIAL EVENT at Southern Charm Quilting. When I taught it there in September 2023 we had 15 students--they did an amazing job! Read about that class here:


This time we had 4 happy students. They had plenty of space and got lots done. Here they are at the end of the week, a bit tired but they learned a LOT:

Carol, Cherie, Evelyn, Leah

I taught this at Empty Spools Seminar in March 2024 to 20 students; see that amazing venue and class experience here:


Registration for EMPTY SPOOLS SEMINAR 2025 opened May 13, 2024 and classes are filling FAST! Some classes filled the first day. People who attend every year, wouldn't miss it. People who attend for the first time know they have to come back. I cannot describe adequately what a MAGICAL and SPECIAL experience this is, for students and faculty. 

I am teaching TWO-FOR-ONE in the 5th session, March 30-April 4, 2025. The weather will be spectacular then and I just can hardly wait to get back there! More samples of this great quilt which students are likely to complete during our class time:

Twin size

Queen Size


Student work King size

Student work Queen size

And if waiting until 2025 seems too far away, I am thrilled to say I am teaching at Houston this Fall, classes Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday October 28-30, 2024. Enrollment opens in June and I expect my classes to fill completely, as they did last year. Make plans to attend this 50 year Celebration and I hope to see you in class:

Monday DISAPPEARING PATCHWORK;

Mine was made with Neutrals


Tuesday SLOW STITCHING  as described above. Having handwork ready to go is so soothing and satisfying:


Wednesday CHARMING SAMPLER: one of my most popular classes at guilds all over the country. Use those Charm Packs and learn a variety of great and useful tips for piecing, sure to improve all your future quilts:
about 34" square

See student work from last year here:  Houston 2023 TEACHING

Teaching on QUILT CRUISES is another passion of mine. The next two I have scheduled, Alaska 2024 and New England/Canada 2025 are both SOLD OUT but there is a BRAND NEW CRUISE, to BERMUDA!, that has just been added to my schedule:

FRIENDS AT SEA, September 13-18, 2025 on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas. Not sure you would love a quilt cruise? This 5-Day cruise is perfect. Two at-sea days where we will be in the classroom--work on the optional class project OR bring your own project. Either way, you will have your own new Bernina sewing machine to sew on. The other two days we are docked in Bermuda so you can come and go, on and off the ship, for two complete days.  What could be better?

Register NOW, this cruise will fill up:  FRIENDS AT SEA with STITCHIN HEAVEN and ME

I do love teaching as many students as possible and plan to continue as long as I can. When you see a class you want to take, the time to act is NOW. Enroll as soon as you can so you don't miss out.  I hope to see you in class!

Let's quilt,

Barbara

6 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration to so many! ❤️
    FWIW…Many years ago, Harrier Hargrave shared with me that “An expert is someone from out of town with slides!” 🤪

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true. At home I am just the old quilter everybody knows.

      Delete
  2. My guild is having trouble getting members to sign up for workshops. When a regional or national teacher speaks, they offer a workshop the next day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes at my guild too. Then when they see what everyone did in class they wished they had attended. You can always learn something in class!

      Delete
  3. If your classes were being offered in my neck of the woods, I would definitely be taking Two-For-One. And I still have "Charming Sampler" in a container with some favorite charm packs. I really need to make that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a long commute! Wish you could join us.

      Delete