Sunday, November 12, 2023

INTERNATIONAL QUILT FESTIVAL 2023 -- PART 1

 There is so much to share about Quilt Festival, there will be two posts about it. The first is about my teaching experience at Festival.

After working in the Education Office for 24 years I "graduated" to the other side of the desk. My friend, Vicki T., checked me in as Faculty--it's official now:


The first class was Western Sun, the most challenging of my 3 classes this year, and the one that taught the most: 
Ready to Go

Happy Students


Lest you think teachers just show up, there is  a lot of prep that takes place months in advance. I ordered the Template sets for the Kits, had the Pattern handouts printed, prepared all the supplies needed for 75 students, and shipped 3 boxes of teaching supplies to Houston a month ahead of time. 

Once in Houston, it was time to assemble the 25 Kits for Western Sun. My King size bed was the perfect place to do that:

Laid out and double counted

Everything stuffed in a resealable bag

The class was a great success and I was riding a big wave into the next class, Antique Rose Star by Machine. I love to teach this class and students love the big trick they learn that makes a Y-seam so easy:
Ready for the day


Some Student work, still in two halves for a very important reason:




Happy students at the end of the day:


In the blink of an eye, it was Day 3 and Disappearing Patchwork was up. My sample is a neutral quilt because I wanted to prove to myself I could work with only Neutrals. It was a struggle but I like the result:
Ready for the last day of teaching

It is so much fun for me to see the fabric choices of the students. This class did not disappoint. Some Student work:




Happy students at the end of the day:

A copy of the Class evaluations are given to the teacher after class. Let's just say, I am keeping all of these in case I ever have a bad day and want reassurance I am doing what I was born to do, sharing my love and passion for quiltmaking with those who want to learn. Awesome teaching experience all around and I hope to repeat it with new classes next year.

The other goal I had for the week was to get in the daily exercise I am used to. Each morning I hit the Fitness Center for an hour and a half, starting at 5:30 am. I usually had the place to myself:

A little sweaty

30 minutes on the Elliptical Trainer

Power walk for one hour, 4 MPH


Three times I swam in the beautiful rooftop pool, loved that. No pictures of the two piece swimsuit because, in photos, it looks way too much like lingerie!

Eating smart is important while traveling. I started each day with a high protein breakfast. Lunch was often part of a big salad purchased at Phoenicia Market, or oatmeal and protein bars. Dinner was more eggs or Chinese from a local place, rounded out with Muscle Milk shakes I brought from home:

Salad, hummus, pita--at least two meals here from Phoenicia

BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS: 

Daily breakfast, eggs, bacon or sausage, a big bowl of fresh berries and skim milk in my coffee

As expected, I was up 3 pounds when I returned home. Two days later they were gone, two days after that I was down 2 more. Getting right back to my normal diet and exercise routine works!

I love the Hilton Americas hotel. It is my home every year (except last year), since 2008. It feels like home, I am an honored guest and the relationships I have built over the years are priceless. 

One of the best is Brenda C, who takes such good care of me. We email a few times during the year to catch up on our families. She is the best! This year I gave her a quilt to give her granddaughter who just bought her first home:

We are almost the same size--she was so surprised to see me this year

A gift for her granddaughter

My view

Homeward Bound top I brought to give to the new owner

I LOVE  a full moon

This class sample is what I slept under--I love quilts on hotel beds

This week could not have gone any better. I was filled with gratitude as I went home. Next year is a BIG one, the 50th anniversary of Festival and I will be there. I certainly hope to be teaching again, a few new and exciting classes as well as doing a few other events. I will apply, time will tell.

Next week I will share more about the quilts and special friends I was able to see and hug.

Let's quilt.

Barbara






2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous time! Just goes to prove that life is what you make it. Great job on making happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you transitioned well to teacher. I've never taught anything, but I do know teachers don't just show up. Lots of prep!

    ReplyDelete