Sunday, August 4, 2024

TINY STARS TWO WAYS

 A recent quilt project had me making a LOT of tiny stars, 4" each. Known as the Evening Star or the Morning Star, I chose to make it from Flying Geese units, 1" x 2" finished. I have a TUTORIAL for  making Four Flying Geese at Once. 



I found the easiest way to trim those small flying geese units to exactly1.5" x 2.5" was with the Bloc Loc ruler designed for that size:


After making about 30 of the 126 I needed I was reminded of the Tiny Stars blocks I had made for swapping with others. The points don't go to the outside edge of the block which is good when working with blocks made by several other people.  The stars "FLOAT" on the background:

Regular on the Left, Floating on the Right

The floating stars are SO MUCH easier to make, faster, less fiddley. Find the instructions on this previous post: TINY STARS BLOCK SWAP

Each of these stars is trimmed to 4.5" including seam allowance so finishes at 4" when sewn into the quilt.

I used both types of stars in my project--the FLOATING STARS are at the intersections of the sashing. I think they look fine:


The project is coming along nicely. Now there are borders to make:


The layout I am working on:


The pattern is Oh, My Stars! by American Jane patterns.

Let's quilt.

Barbara



3 comments:

  1. That is going to be phenomenal! I also like sewing flying geese 4-at-a-time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember saving your tutorial for the tiny floating stars, but haven't used them yet. This was a good reminder of them. I am making a quilt with 4" blocks right now. Maybe they will need to be incorporated somehow.
    Gorgeous quilt you have in the making there!!

    ReplyDelete