Sunday, October 13, 2024

BUCKET LIST QUILT # 2

 This quilt caught my eye at the Texas Quilt Museum in La Grange TX last year:






In Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Patterns I found it as Glittering Star # 3738. But that only has 5 diamonds on each side, this quilt has 7. 

Playing around in Electric Quilt 8 I have these two ideas:


One Central Block, with the center square and rectangles pieced in

Four separate blocks, much easier to make


I studied the original at the museum and I am sure the center block is pieced in--there are no seams in the center white square. I didn't think to check the white rectangles but it stands to reason they were also pieced in.

Making four separate blocks would be easiest for a machine pieced quilt.

The fact there are 6 diamonds on a side instead of 7 doesn't bother me, at least not enough to redraw the entire star to have 7 as the original does. 

I was able to use the diagram from EQ8 to determine yardage. I have plenty of fabrics what will work for the colored diamonds and the squares on point on the border. The white background requires more than 4 yards. That might mean I have to use more than one white. Easy enough.

My first quick "fabric pull" for Bucket List Quilt #2. Turns out I do have enough of a white solid for the background to be all the same fabric:

I want to hand quilt this one so the solid background is the best choice.

This will be fun!

Let's quilt.

Barbara




No comments:

Post a Comment