Sunday, October 20, 2024

PACKING FOR HOUSTON

 It's that time of year when I get started on packing for Houston. As part of the Faculty, there is so much to do to get ready. 

Three weeks out I go to Staples and spend time printing all the Handouts. After first checking to be sure I had the most up-to-date handout ready for printing. Sometimes students make good suggestions and I revise the class Handout. One hour and $250 later I was ready to get ready.

 It's important not to forget anything so I work class by class, reviewing the Supply Lists to be sure I have all the supplies students are asked to bring. I have a folder for each class, listing what to take with me, what extra things are helpful, and anything else I might need to teach that class. Then I gather all the items needed for the class: Kits, Handouts, business cards, and a few "freebies" vendors have sent me to share with students. And then I dig out the class samples, it is REALLY important to have those! 

Fortunately, I didn't have to ship any boxes this year. My three classes each have Handouts/Patterns and student  supplies but all of that stuff will fit in one very large suitcase:

Plenty of room

Goldie doesn't get to go, no room for her

The inside isn't fully packed yet, the quilts have to be folded and added. If there is extra room, some of my other things, like snacks and personal items, may fit in here too:

Another large suitcase will hold my clothes and such. For 24 years I packed two suitcases for my 13 day stay. This trip is only 7 days long so I feel like I'm not taking nearly enough clothes--but I am.

The BEST THING about packing this year is that ALL MY CLOTHES FIT. This may not sound like much, but as someone who dreaded the change of seasons every year, it is amazing to know that I can pack for a week without having to try anything on to be sure it fits. My closet has been purged of all the "too big", "not attractive", "why did I buy this?" clothes. If it is in my closet, it fits, I like it, it can be mixed and matched with several things and packing is FUN--not the chore it used to be.

My half of the closet

Besides the travel clothes--easy to wear in airports, and the teaching clothes--professional but colorful and flattering, I will pack my exercise clothes. Each morning I'll be in the Fitness Center at 5:30 am for my daily workout. Then breakfast, my favorite meal of the day, and then on to class. I never miss a workout.

Fitness Center Hilton Americas Houston

So the "preparation" for packing for Houston is done. All that needs to happen in the week before is a haircut, get my nails done, and then actually put everything in the suitcases. Then the fun can begin! I look forward to seeing old friends and making new ones. 

If you see me there, please be sure to say "HI!"

Let's quilt,

Barbara



4 comments:

  1. Barbara, might I suggest a big savings for you in both dollars and packing space? Stop printing handouts. They could be delivered electronically in several different ways: a link could be on the supplies list, or a QR code on day one of the class, or emailed out later. This allows your students to decide if they want printed materials or not. I'd rather be have electronic materials and would likely not print them out. Obviously if there are templates, you might wish to print those, but even so, I'd rather have the electronic version overall. Further this would eliminate the distraction of the printed handouts when you first give them out, maybe saving some time in class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting thoughts, Pat. I will give this some thought. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I hope to say hello in Houston. I wasn’t able to take any of your classes there. I’m almost finished PaP except for appliqué. Have fun! Darlene Barboza Boerne TX

    ReplyDelete