Monday, January 2, 2012

Design Wall Monday--January 2, 2012

Judy L has a fun blog each Monday where she shows what is on her design wall and lots of other people show what they are working on.  If you see something you like, click on their link and take a look at their blog. 

Here is my most recent project.  It doesn't look like much yet but the fan quilting will greatly enhance this simple design.  It's from a lovely new book "Utility Quilting" by Carolyn Forster, from the UK.  I met her at Quilt Market this fall and was very taken with her samples and this upcoming book.  It has several excellent pages on how to do bindings--a common topic new to intermediate quilters always want help with.  The projects are simple so they are ideal for Big Stitch quilting.  I find that fast and fun, yet it still adds the beauty of hand stitching to the quilt.  I'm all for Fine Hand Quilting, and can do it, but some quilts just need a "little love", don't you think? 
Courthouse Step Quilt 72" square

While on Judy's blog, take a look at a new Challenge she has set up for this year. Color Palette Challenge She is working with Vickie Welsh of Field Trips with Fiber to do a monthly challenge using color palettes.  Color is one of the things I get asked about the most--how to choose, how to use, how to know what looks "good".  This would be a fun way to spread your wings with color just a little. 

Tomorrow I'll have a few more links to exciting places on the web to learn quilting tricks.  I know we can't do it all, but I've found 2 that will go a long way in helping me reach my goal to improve free motion quilting.  Stay tuned!

Barbara




5 comments:

  1. Wow -- 72" is pretty good sized! I like the blues in this piece, Barbara. Are you planning on following along with Darlene's FMQ challenge for 2012? I'm really excited about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That block really is lovely. I want to try some big blocks and some hand quilting some day. I'll have to keep this one in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow a 72" square! I would never have guessed by looking at the photo! The Color Challenge looks like fun....now to find my fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a cool idea...one huge block being the whole quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn sent me over - love her an her work and her book! Courthouse steps is looking good!

    ReplyDelete