Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Houston Quilt Festival 2021 -- Part 2

 These photos will focus on my Special Exhibit at International Quilt Festival 2021 in Houston, TX.

It features 23 of my quilts, from early pieces that are pretty humble to the four Best of Show quilts. I told my family it is my "Lifetime Achievement Award" and is a really big deal--in case they didn't know what it means for a quiltmaker to have an exhibit of their work at "Houston".

The opening display: 

A huge "Thank You!" to the fine folks at Quilters Select who so graciously agreed to sponsor this Special Exhibit: 



Sizzle--Hot! pattern by Becky Goldsmith, in a private collection

Joyful Journey, Sue Garman pattern, quilted by Lois Kindley

I took some of these shots before the show opened to the public. The layout was lovely, close to chronological order as I had requested: 



Red and White--By the Numbers got very little attention and that was fine. She was front and center and images of this quilt was everywhere in 2014. She is part of my journey but not the most important part; 

Some of the older pieces: 


If It"s Purple... patterns from my guild in the early 1990's, original layout/design, hand quilted by Lucille Ford, Best of Show, HQH 1995

Devil's Claw, original design, hand quilted by Lucille Ford

                                        



The oldest pieces were on the back side of the exhibit--the two flying geese quilts are personal favorites: 


One of the oldest quilts in the exhibit, Charm Quilt, 1992. Made with "blocks" from members of my first guild, VA Star Quilters, Fredericksburg, VA. I designed the original quilting pattern. The quilt sat in the frame in a west-facing window for so long the border fabrics are badly faded. The narrow inner border was originally black: 



The ONE quilt that got far more attention than any other is "My Lifetime Quilt". It was in the perfect place for maximum visibilty--facing into the quilt area of the show, and leading to the vendor area. 

These next 3 photos are from my friend Karen K Buckley, who featured them on Facebook--Thanks, Karen!







The subtitle of this quilt is Wow! because I hear that all the time when people first see it. This guy came around the corner and yelled "Wow!" followed by "She's nuts!"  As I was standing there I said to him "it really wasn't that hard to  make". He figured out these are all my quilts and said some very nice things about my overall body of work. I asked him to pose, saying "Wow" and he was happy to. Wish I had gotten his name: 


There are many blog posts about the making of this quilt--use the Search box in the upper left for Lifetime and they will come up. Here is one: 


I have lots of photos of the backside of lots of people--every time I went to the Exhibit there were people gathered around it: 


I spent an hour a day for 3 days at the Exhibit, listening and talking to lots of people, quilters and their families. Many wanted my business card and I hope some of them are now here following along with the rest of my Joyful Journey. Many members of The Quilt Show took a moment to say "hi" and that was special too.

All and all, it was a great experience I will be forever grateful for. My personal motto is "I am a part of all that I have met", by A. Lord Tennyson, my high school yearbook motto. I feel my connection to all those who are a part of my journey: teachers, friends, students, mentors. I especially felt the presence of two women who have left this world, but not before leaving a permanent place in my heart: Judy Murrah, my mentor, boss and friend for so many years and Sue Garman, designer and friend. I miss them both so much but feel their love to this day.

Let's quilt.

Barbara 

10 comments:

  1. A lovely post and a great honor. You have done well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome, well deserved exhibit! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was proud to see them at festival, especially since I just took a class from you with my Guild for Freezer paper piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy that I was able to go to Houston to see your beautiful quilts on display. You are such a blessing to all who know you. I'm proud to call you my friend! You are an amazing quilter and teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Shelley. You are part of my journey.

      Delete
  5. They are all stunning, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although i just discovered you through The Quilt Show last year. I love your teaching style and your tips. I ve been to Houston show twice in the last 15 years. Thank you for sharing your journey. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete