Sunday, March 5, 2023

QUILTERS SELECT 60 DEGREE TRIANGLE RULER

Recently I was asked to make two videos for Quilters Select rulers: the 3n1 Half Square Combo Ruler and the 60 Degree Triangle ruler. They sent me the rulers and I got to work. I wrote about the very useful 3N1 Half Square Triangle Ruler     HERE

The QR code on the package makes it easy to find the instructions and projects on the Quilters Select website. Using a fun knob handle on these rulers helps preserve the original non-slip coating. Our hands naturally have oils, maybe hand cream, maybe sanitizer. It really helps to preserve the coating by using a handle.

Let's take a look at the 60 Degree Triangle Ruler:

Most quilters are very familiar with squares, 90 degree and 45 degree angles. 60 degree shapes seem to have a reputation for being "difficult".  With quality tools, they don't have to be. Here is just one possible layout/design, using 60 degree triangles:

The math to use this ruler for quick and accurate cutting of 60 degree triangles is simple: What is the finished height of the triangle you want, from center point to the base? Finished means when the shape is sewn into the block. Add 1/2" to that measurement and that is the size strip to cut.

I started with leftover jelly roll strips, those are 2 1/2" wide. I joined two on the long seam and pressed it open. I could have trimmed it to exactly 4 1/2" but decided to cut first, trim second. Next time I will trim the strip to exactly 4 1/2" FIRST:


Because of the pinked edges, I made sure each triangle was exactly 4 1/2" high by using the line on the ruler that allowed me to cut the bottom edge, now the triangle is 4 1/2":


If you like, you can use the blunted corners of the ruler to eliminate the point. This does make it a bit easier to align the triangles EXACTLY where they go. If you are new to 60 degree shapes, I recommend this:

But because the top point is automatically eliminated during the cutting, placement for sewing is very easy. I found I didn't need to take the time to clip off the other two points. Here the underneath point on the left is still there:


Now let's look at a 60 degree diamond. Again, the math is easy. What size diamond do you want, from top to bottom point? With these big Kaffe Fassett pritnts, I chose 8" finished. Add 1/2" to that--start with an 8 1/2" strip of fabric. 

Fold it in half, place the fold closest to you. Put the 4 1/4" line (half of 8 1/2")  on the fold of the fabric. Cut both sides, and like magic, you have an 8" finished 60 degree diamond:


Quilters Select website has instructions and diagrams and coloring pages, to help you in your design:

I cut a variety of diamonds from large prints, leftovers from an earlier project, AND white diamonds to use as "background". When I get a bit more time I will enjoy playing with all these on my design wall: 

Like any tool, it might take a few times using it to become fully comfortable with it. But this is a keeper in my studio. I encourage you to play with 60 degree shapes to see how easy they can be.

Find more information on the Quilters Select website: 60 Degree Triangle Ruler

Watch the videos HERE, they start at about 9 minutes in.

The Quilt Show Store has a special deal: buy both rulers and get a free Quilters Select Self-Erase Pen, another great tool. Watch for it here: The Quilt Show Store

Let's quilt.

Barbara




1 comment: