Sunday, October 22, 2023

SASHIKO and BORO STITCHING

 Recently, I was sent a copy of a new book by my friend, Pepper Cory for review:


The 6" ruler is to show the cute size of this POCKET GUIDE.  Pepper's book will be for sale December 5, 2023--it's release date to the American market. I see it is available for pre-order now.

It is 64 pages of great information and photos. Easy to understand instructions, along with historical information will have you excited to use this very old, yet now modern again, SLOW stitching technique.

Back Cover

Table of Contents


Years ago I took a Sashiko class from Pepper and I really enjoyed it. But life gets in the way and I didn't keep going. Last year I took a Sashiko class at International Quilt Festival in Houston from Becky Scellato. I enjoyed the class but had not touched that project since then. Now I am excited to get it back out and get stitching again! 

All you need is fabric, a design, thread, needle, and a thimble. Pepper's book explains each of these things in detail. How to draw your own patterns as well as how to use commercial stencils will teach you all you need to know to get started.


Using pre-printed fabric made for a great class kit and you can find these panels in shops and online. Google Pre Printed Sashiko Fabric to find many options. Here is Becky Scellato's website: Shibori Dragon

Besides using Sashiko and Boro stitching for quilts and home furnishings, Pepper's book shows how to decorate a denim jacket as well as make a beautiful scarf. You will look at your favorite scraps in a whole new way as you play with Boro stitching. I am eager to give that a try now too.

The Pocket Guide to Sashiko and Boro Stitching costs less than $10. If you are looking for a fun, easy, meditative way to spend your quiet time, look no further than this little book.

Let's quilt!

Barbara



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, I am friends with Pepper on FaceBook and I so enjoy all her projects, she amazes me. I want to learn this so I will be looking for the little book. Than you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete