Sunday, October 1, 2023

HOMEWARD BOUND -- MONTH 10

This quilt is the 2023 Block of the Month quilt for The Quilt Show. It was designed by Sarah Fielke exclusively for The Quilt Show and is only available at The Quilt Show. The best news is it's FREE for Star Members of The Quilt Show. Each month in 2023 a new part of the quilt is released for download to Star Members. 

After spending 3 months on the wide applique border, you will like how quickly the pieced border goes in Month 10. There is just a small amount of applique, leaves, stems, and  berries. 

As always, watch any videos provided to supplement the pattern instructions. The Month 5 video may also be helpful:  Month 5 Video


The Half Square Triangle units are the exact same size as those made in Month 5. The fabrics to use for the Large Triangles and Small Triangles are spelled out clearly in the Fabric Requirements so I won't list them here. Just pull out the 6 fabrics for the Large HST and the 4 fabrics for the Small HST and you will easily be able to see where they go.

I make HST with a Half Square Triangle ruler, like the one in the Accessory Kit. You can also make them from squares--I cut the squares 3" vs 2 7/8", I prefer that so I can "trim to perfection".  My blog for Month 5 discusses how to make the HST units: Month 5

The applique is simple this month, leaves, stems and berries:

ROUND LEAF  Sweet Pea SWEET  32 using the Round Leaf Template from Month 3
ROUND LEAF Dragon's Breath AMEYTHST 32 using the Round Leaf Template from Month 3

BERRIES  Paperweight PAPRIKA  8 using the Template B circle from Month 2

IMPORTANT NOTE: My large rectangles are DIFFERENT FROM THE PATTERN. There was a cutting error I discovered after machine appliqueing the wrong size Bias Stems to both ends of the 4.5" x 10.5" Background Rectangles. The error has been corrected. Rather than spend hours removing and replacing those short stems, I simply added a berry to the end of each to cover up the raw edge. The stems are supposed to go under the Heart, which will be added in Month 11. Because I used the same fabric for the berries that is supposed to be used for the Heart, I changed my hearts to a lighter fabric. My own personal Design Decision. It's your quilt, you get to decide.

Here is mine--this is NOT THE SAME AS THE PATTERN:


I think you will find this a fun and easy month. The end is in sight! Next month we add the 4 Hearts, and complete the HST borders, adding them to the quilt center. Then we make the 12 Cabins for the last border.

We are getting toward the end of this project. The MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE I  HAVE FOR YOU: be sure to SAVE, COPY, PRINT, whatever method you prefer, ALL THE PATTERNS before DECEMBER 31, 2023. After that, all rights to the patterns return to Sarah Fielke, the designer. We cannot give anyone these patterns after that date, and no one else here can legally give them to you either. Please be proactive in saving what you still need so you can finish without having to BUY missing months.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

 

5 comments:

  1. The information you provided each month was the best! It so helped me in moving forward with my quilt. I did find that after all of the hand applique in the first several months, I needed to switch it up and began to machine applique if I ever wanted to complete this project! So that’s what I’m doing. Thank you for the excellent presentations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this. I appreciate it a lot. Glad you found a way that works for you.

      Delete
  2. Did you mention at one point about some extra purple fabric being sent to us for the roofs of the houses in the outer border? I have looked all over and can't find any reference to it now. Perhaps it was wishful thinking on my part??!!

    ReplyDelete