Monday, November 6, 2023

HOMEWARD BOUND -- MONTH 12

 This quilt is the 2023 Block of the Month quilt for The Quilt Show. It was designed by Sarah Fielke exclusively for The Quilt Show and is only available at The Quilt Show. The best news is it's FREE for Star Members of The Quilt Show. Each month in 2023 a new part of the quilt is released for download to Star Members. 

We made it to Month 12! It's time to finish the final border with a stair-step unit. Then your top will be done!

As always, watch any videos that have been provided to supplement the pattern instructions.

Homeward Bound by Sarah Fielke




There are 6 fabrics used for the pieced borders. If using the Kit  they are:

Fabric 1  Tiny Dots PEACOCK

Fabric  2 Tiny Stripes FERN

Fabric  3 Tiny Dots  FLARE

Fabric  4 Tiny Stripes WILDFIRE

Fabric  5 Tiny Dots Blueberry

Fabric  6 Tiny Stripes PETAL

The strips are cut 1.5" wide x WOF. Be careful to cut these accurately. 

I am an impatient person. I want to see units start to come together. SO, I cut HALF the strips needed, and then cross cut those into HALF the required number needed so I could start making units. There are a total of 16 sets for the whole quilt--I made 8 the first two days so I could see progress.

Be very careful with the cross cuts--there are lots of measurements and you want to cut each fabric the correct size. 

I laid mine out on a design board. At the top are the strips ready to sew. At the bottom, one completed section with one Cabin unit attached:

MY TIPS:

1. Press the  seam of each strip toward the Background fabric.

2. When joining the strips to each other, BE SURE to backstitch at the top and bottom of each pair. These will get a lot of handling as you create the entire border and you don't want those seams to start to pop open. They will, trust me.

3. Pay attention to Diagram 1 so the fabrics are kept in the correct order.

4. I pressed the seams open except for the two seams on Fabric 6--the pink. I found those easiest to press toward Fabric 6. You may want to press all to the left or right--you decide. It really doesn't matter.

THINGS TO UNDERSTAND: 

1. It isn't obvious from looking at photos of the quilt, Fabric 1, Peacock, the aqua, is sewn to the Cabin and the Star B units.  The directions are clear, please follow them. 

2. When making the Cabin unit, be sure to backstitch at the top and bottom as you join the aqua/background unit to either side of the 2.5" background square--Diagram 2. 

3. When making the Star B unit, follow the directions so you get Fabric 1 where it needs to be.

4. Cabin A is pink, there are 8 of those. Cabin B is peach, there are 4 of those. They were made in Month 11. The PEACH cabins go in the center of each border, the PINK cabins go on either side of center, with a pieced border unit between. 

5. Refer to a photo of the quilt to be sure you get all the parts in the correct place. It is easy to get them mixed up. 

Once all four borders are done, add the left and right borders to the sides, then add the top and bottom borders. The top and bottom borders include a Large Star C made in Month 6 to outside ends of those borders. 

Here is my completed top:


You made it! The top is done. And if you are not done yet? 

The MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE I  HAVE FOR YOU: be sure to SAVE, COPY, PRINT, whatever method you prefer, ALL THE PATTERNS before DECEMBER 31, 2023. After that, all rights to the patterns return to Sarah Fielke, the designer. We cannot give anyone these patterns after that date, and no one else here can legally give them to you either. Please be proactive in saving what you still need so you can finish without having to BUY missing months.

Let's quilt.

Barbara



6 comments:

  1. Thank you Barbara! I have been cutting strips all day it seems. I saw the pre-order price on Sarah's website for this quilt is $65. Not sure of the dollar exchange. Being a TQS member is more than a deal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your info. I’ve had a heck of a time with this border.ha. It’s making me crazy but I will persevere. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all the help and info. I’ve had a time understanding the directions on this border!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My concentration sucks about now. I have read and read the pattern, I’ve yet to understand the size to cut the cabin pieces. I’m totally frustrated at trying to understand. Normally, I don’t have these issues but so happy we are about done.lol. Could someone please tell me sizes…I’ve got the roof and flying geese done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go back to the blog for Month 11. There is a photo of the cabin if it was paper piecing, showing the unfinished sizes of each section. Take off the seam allowances and you will have the Finished size of each section. Some of the pieces are small, 1” square. You can figure out each piece from that photo and the sizes to cut are in the pattern.

      Delete