Sunday, April 7, 2024

My Joyful Journey Retreat #5

 For 5 years I have hosted a Retreat at the Red Rooster Retreat Center in Crane Hill, AL. This year I missed it because my flight home from EMPTY SPOOLS SEMINAR was canceled due to weather. I got stuck for two extra nights in Dallas.

So the SECRET PLAN to have me surprise everyone by showing up unexpectedly was for naught. 

But it looks like they had a great time. These photos were shared with me. And we did FACETIME  a couple times. Enjoy!

Conna

One part of the room

Cyndi

Julie

Kathy--who makes everything run smoothly

The other part of the room

Pam's quilt, I think

Pick a Petal--definitely not Australian fabrics

Pick a Petal--bright

Sally telling Julie something important

Sally

Suzie

Kathy 

Suzie and Victoria


Victoria


First timer Sandy

Mandatory Group shot on the Stairs

First timer Suzanne
Janey
Sue 

First Timer Sandra  


Instead of the usual "20 Questions"  asked at meals, this year everyone was asked to provide a Tip, or great idea. Then they were added to the "What I Learned" board. AND someone is always listening, so there was a "What I Heard" section too:

What I Heard and What I Learned Board

Since I wasn't there, there are NO pictures of FOOD! Suffice it to say the food was great and everyone had plenty to eat, including goodies brought to share.

In September all those who attended this year get a week's advance notice to sign up for next year's amazing event: March 5-9, 2025. If there are openings after that, I start working my WAITLIST.  If you would like to be added to the Waitlist, just let me know. Several of these women have been at all 5 and wouldn't miss it. We had 3 newbies this year who have already said they want to come back. 

Who wouldn't want to spend 5 days with smart, funny, creative, happy women? And have all your meals provided too!! Makeup free zone, stay in pj's all day if you like. It's just the BEST!  So sorry I missed it.

Let's quilt.

Barbara


6 comments:

  1. I love retreats! I've been to Stitchin Heaven, Gees Bend and of course the ship trip where I met you. Can I get on the list please? This is Bonnie Skinner bonnieskin75@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, what a great retreat you host! There’s something about connecting through Dallas that could delay you for days! It’s happened to me and to others I know. I’m delighted that I now have a reason to be delayed in Dallas. My son just moved there. Sorry you missed your retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Bummer!!!! So sad you missed retreat but it looks like a good time was had by all there. Lovely projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be visiting the Lake Guntersville area later this month. I understand there is a golf course near where we are staying. As I'm not a golfer, are there any nice/fun quilt stores nearby that I could *ahem* pass some time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patches & Stitches, 603 Humes Ave, Huntsville; Southern Charm Quilting 1847 University Dr, Huntsville; Barb's Sewing Center 805 Regal Dr, Huntsville. Out in West Madison is Sweet Home Quilting, worth the drive if you want Kaffe/Tula/very modern fabrics.

      Delete
  5. Hi. I’m the one who posted about my son who moved to Dallas.

    I am interested in attending your next retreat if there’s room. Barb@barbvlack.com

    I’m working on the Pick a Petal BOM because I was first attracted to so many ways I can use some of my orphan blocks! I have 16 blocks pieced with neutrals that I had intended to use for a background for a small project. They are 6” blocks that I already brought up to 8” with log cabin-like strips around the perimeter. In EQ8 (of course) I drafted the pieced arcs to a size to fit the patches I have from a vintage DWR that someone never finished. There are so many ways I can include what I have in my stash of fabrics and orphan blocks!

    Thank you for your online tutorials. I’m picking up a few tips from you. I’m glad you found the joy of foundation piecing with freezer paper. It’s been my favorite piecing technique for many years.

    ReplyDelete