Friday, July 31, 2026

GAME ON! MONTH 8

Game On! is the 2026 Block of the Month quilt designed by Becky Goldsmith exclusively for THE QUILT SHOW: find Game On! information here. Join as a Star Member to get all the patterns and all the videos FREE. Membership is just $49/year and provides access to almost 20 years of shows and tremendous additional content. Join HERE

Now we are ready to move on to the larger borders--6" blocks. We are making the LEFT larger border:


The good news for some of you--there are NO PAPERS TO PRINT. This is just machine pieced in the regular manner.

I have a few tips. First, once you make the little four patches, they need to be trimmed to 2 5/8". I always measure blocks from the center BUT what is middle of 2 5/8"?  It's 1 5/16". We don't have a line on our rulers for sixteenths. 

SO, I made a 2 5/8" square of Vellum, so I could see through it. Folding it in half in both directions gave me the middle--I drew a line in each direction with a fine point pen:



Placing the Vellum square on the Four Patch, I used a mechanical pencil to draw in the four corners--this allowed me to see where to place a small square ruler--at the 2 5/8" mark on the outside edge:


I rotated it and trimmed the other two sides for a perfect 2 5/8" Four Patch.

UPDATE: A smart person posted on the FORUM how to make this border without a seam in the green—not as Blocks. Take a look at her idea:  Shirlett P’s good idea




Back to the Block method: I discovered my usual 1/4" seam allowance caused me a problem. Those 2 5/8" blocks are just a smidge too large for me  to make a 6" block accurately. How much too large? Oh, maybe 1/32".  Nothing you can easily measure.

When I made the first set of these blocks, using the precise 1/4" seam allowance I am accustomed to, I found I was going to "cut off" the outside points. You can see that where the brown sashing has been added:


SO, when I made the second set I experimented with using a slightly larger seam allowance.

The blocks on the LEFT were made with my usual seam allowance. The blocks on the RIGHT were made with the slightly larger seam allowance--they are MUCH better. The BLUE squares are now exactly 1/4" inside the edge and won't be but off:


As usual, I know I have to check myself as I go to be sure my borders aren't GROWING as I piece them. Two blocks sewn together should be 12.5" long. Three blocks should be 18.5" long. Four blocks should be 24.5" long. Join a THREE and a FOUR to get the 42.5" length this Border needs to be. Add the narrow brown sashing to each end and you have MONTH 8 done!

HOW MUCH bigger was the better Seam Allowance? Here is a photo of where my 1/4" presser foot was to give me the size I needed for perfect blocks. It's only a few THREADS, maybe 1/32". You might have to play with your presser foot or needle position if you find your blocks are coming out just a tad too large as I did: 


I find it very helpful to trim blocks with a ruler that is the size the block needs to be, 6.5" with seam allowance in this instance.  I put the 3.25" marks at the center in BOTH directions, North/South, East/West. 

This ruler has WHITE lines in BOTH directions at the midpoints that allow me to easily place them all across the middle of the block in BOTH directions. I can check to be sure there is a 1/4" seam allowance beyond the BLUE squares. This block is just right so I can trim it now:


I strive for perfection but can accept "close is good enough" sometimes. Not if you want to enter International Competition--then it has to be as perfect as you can make it. So I won't be remaking the PRINT KIT border--FINISHED IS BETTER THAN PERFECT.

Next month we'll make the TOP larger border.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

2 comments:

  1. Hello Barbara, I can never determine where I should be posting a question, but here I go. Would you be so kind and let me know the measurements of the quilt top so far, after last month’s brown borders? (I figure it to be around 40 3/4 inches?) Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jody, it’s easy to determine. The last brown top/bottom sashing borders are cut 44.5” so that is the size of the middle after those sashing borders are added. There are 14 blocks, 3” each, in the narrow pieced borders. That is why the left/right brown sashing borders are cut 42.5”.
    I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete