Monday, June 27, 2016

Two Tops Done!

I've been hard at it these past few days, working on quilt tops.  Now they are done.  Not the pieced backs, I'll get to those tomorrow, but the tops are finished.

This weekend I worked on a shop sample for a Fall class:


I love making these, they are my go-to quilt for a gift since I can usually make a top in a long weekend.  This one took much longer with that diagonal pieced border but since I think I'm keeping this one, I didn't mind putting in the hours.  The pattern is Southern Star from Calico Carriage Quilting Designs.

At the retreat last week (more on that hereI finished sewing all the rows onto my year-long Tumbler project:


There are 45 rows of 61 tumblers, for a total of 2,745 two-inch finished tumblers and it's about 90" x 100".  This was Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Leader/Ender challenge.  Her 2016 one should be revealed July 1 or thereabouts.  Unless I can't help myself, I don't plan to start that one--I've got several quilts I am determined to finish this year and need NO NEW PROJECTS!  

Saturday I taught two classes.  Here is Smitten. There were only 3 students and they did great:

Their first block--each student did very well and was happy with her block

Donna's second block cut and ready to be pieced

Catherine created a sewn strip before cutting her units 
In the afternoon I had 2 students for Strippy Stars:

Rebecca trimming her units

Hollie and Rebecca's blocks made in class

Summer is a tough time for classes since people are busy.  But I love to teach and having just a few students in a new class is a good way to find out if they can accomplish what I think they can in the time allotted.  Smitten continues in a couple weeks and I'll be eager to see the wonderful blocks the students come back with.

I'm keeping up with The Splendid Sampler:


and Circa 2016:
3" blocks
My husband and I went to see the movie "The Free State of Jones" on Sunday.  We enjoyed the history though it was intense in parts.  It takes place between 1862 and 1876, with a few scenes set in current times.  Our history is ugly at times and some people still have some of those ugly beliefs.  But I try to focus on how far we've come and hope for the future.  Saturday night we saw "Spotlight" on TV and I felt similarly sad and conflicted about that movie too.  

We're indoors because it's been so hot.  Great time for quilting.

Let's quilt!

Barbara

5 comments:

  1. You have a lot going on, and it is all wonderful.
    I especially love the look of all of those little tumblers sewn together! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Fall Class sample quilt is simply stunning! How are your eyes after making Bonnie's Tumbler Challenge. Holy Cow....you must be seeing spots everywhere...well, maybe squares evreywhere. It is beautiful though. Love your work.

    Loretta McGinn
    tlkids65ll@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the tumbler project--not sure I ever want to do another though. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete