Thursday, February 19, 2015

Is It Just Me?

Who has several projects ongoing at the same time?  Here is my current design wall:


There are Stars in a Time Warp, a growing collection of those.  I'm making 2 6" blocks each week.  There are Simple Whatnots Club quilts, I teach one of these each month for 6 months.   There are X and + blocks, bright ones and darker ones, a class I will teach for our guild Quilt-In this July.  The log cabin blocks are a simple leader/ender project, easy to cut from the Kim Diehl Simple Whatnots collection 2 fabrics.  There are HexieStars, a project I may be teaching at Quilt!Knit!Stitch! in Portland, this August.  And there are Lemoyne Stars, samples for a Make It University class I'll teach at International Quilt Festival in Chicago one month from now. 

Here is the Honeycomb quilt from the Simple Whatnots Club, Collection 2, featuring Kim Diehl fabrics, 11" x 13":

The pattern has you make split hexagons with freezer paper, then applique' those to a light pieced background.  I decided to English paper piece (EPP) the entire thing.  I drafted it in Electric Quilt, printed the design onto heavy duty freezer paper, then cut out the papers and used a glue pen to wrap the fabrics around the shapes.  There are hexagons, diamonds, and triangles, all EPP.  It took a few nights of hand sewing and I like how it came out.  In the class at our club, I'll offer the page of shapes printed for students who want to do it this way.  And I'll do a tutorial of the process before the class meets and post it here.  There are more than 30 people in the class and it can be hard to see my demos in class. 
So the design wall has lots of things to look at up there.  My plan is to start sewing the X and + blocks together next week so I'll take a bunch of stuff down, giving me room to play with color and design. 

It has been very cold here, today we won't break freezing and it was 10 degrees this morning.  We may get sleet and freezing rain tomorrow afternoon and evening so the Simple Whatnots club may be postponed a week, we just have to wait to see what actually happens.  We can't complain, it's not Boston!  They just have too much snow!

Let's quilt!

Barbara


2 comments:

  1. What an amazing colourful design wall - I love seeing all these projects together in one place. Makes my fingers itch to get some stitching done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have too many projects going on and I want to work on them all! LOL
    Love what you are stitching on. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete