Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Kits are Cut

I'll be teaching a one hour class at International Quilt Festival Chicago on hand piecing the Lemoyne Star, 6" size.  It's part of the Make It University education opportunity on the show floor.

 
 
They are not hard, but there are some tricks to getting that pesky Y-seam in place.  These are two sample blocks. 
 
The hard part was cutting 50 kits, all the fabrics for the two classes.  Might not need them all, but do have to be prepared.  A few friends are coming over next week so I can run through a practice session and then they will help me mark the registration dots beginners will find helpful.  Here are the bags of parts waiting to be marked and kitted:
 
 
 
I machine piece these stars too, when in a hurry, and cutting them with these templates really helps to get the parts lined up just right. 
 
My other project is Barbara Brackman's Stars in a Time Warp, see the button on the right side:
 

These are 6" blocks too, but lots quicker to cut and sew by machine than the  Lemoyne Stars.  Each week Barbara gives info on the colors/prints used in the past.  Last week was Cheddar /Chrome Orange, a real favorite of mine.  I'm doing 2 each week.

Now that the kits are about done I need to get on to making String Blocks for a small swap I'm in.  I also have to prepare another Simple Whatnots sample--this one will be challenging so I need to get started.

Let's quilt!

Barbara



2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Barbara for offering these projects to our Chicago attendees. I know they will have learned new skills after being with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of kits! I love those templates and I'm sure it will make the block go together much easier.

    ReplyDelete