Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Secret Stitcher--My Plan

My quilt guild, the Heritage Quilters of Huntsville, just wrapped up a one-year program--the Secret Stitchers Gift Exchange. We've done it before, years ago now, when it was called "Secret Pals". At our annual birthday party recently, we revealed ourselves to each other:


Those who wish to participate fill out a questionnaire about the kinds of gifts they would enjoy receiving, some quilt related, some about foods, snacks, books,  collectibles, etc. The person in charge assigns the pairs, only she knows who gives to who, and each month every participant brings a wrapped gift for their "Secret Stitcher".  The person you give to is not the person who gives to you.

I was happy to be given Lois K as my "Secret Stitcher". I know and like her and saw this as a chance to surprise her each month. She is a longarmer and the one thing I know about longarmers is they don't have enough time to make tops for themselves.

So, each month I made two 8" New York Beauty blocks, exactly alike, and gave one to her and kept one for myself. Lois said she collects thimbles so each month I wrapped one of my collectible thimbles in the block and gave her that too.

After the first month, a card from her let me know she liked this plan.

At the "Reveal"  Lois said she had no idea I was her Secret Stitcher, and told me again how much some enjoyed receiving the blocks and thimbles.

I also had no idea who was giving to me. It was Pam A, a member I don't know really well but she's a great person. All year she provided nice gifts and even made me these special items:


The swap was fun and I was glad I participated. If  your group wants to do this, here are the RULES our group used:  HQH Secret Stitchers Form

While hunting around Facebook for photos, look what I found--a photo of BOTH Lois and Pam, looking good, ladies:


The other day I put my New York Beauty blocks on the design wall to think about what I wanted to do with them. I decided I needed four more, so I got those made and created this wallhanging/crib quilt:


I don't like to finish outer edges with points that have to be nice and pointy at the outside edge--I will if I really have to, on very special quilts. But this one didn't need that so I added a 1" finished black border to frame it:


Time to move on to something else.

Let's quilt,

Barbara

4 comments:

  1. love the NYB wall hanging. My mother played bunko and always had a "secret pal" its so fun - thanks for shaing the rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NYB is something I have told myself I will make someday. A 4 block wall hanging is a good idea. And I love that you gifted finished blocks to your secret stitcher each month, along with the thimble. Very clever.
    I'm with you on the points along an outside edge. You just never know how well they will play with the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your gifts were so perfect for your "Secret Stitcher". Our guild does the exchange also but I've never participated because I'm a terrible gift-giver! Those that do participate enjoy it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Susie's right! I LOVED mine! I'm very excited and have a plan for these beauties you made me. Again, such a heartfelt gift. Each month was such a treat. Thank you again for your kindness Barbara. I really enjoyed doing that as a guild, I hope we do it again!

    ReplyDelete