Sunday, September 15, 2019

Nothing New Under the Sun

I enjoy making quilts inspired by antique quilts or tops--an homage to the unknown maker of many years ago.

That is not what happened here. 

Six months ago I made this small quilt for an upcoming special class. I dreamed it up, using some of my favorite blocks:


The strippy style is an old layout, occasionally used today but often with the rows running horizontally instead of vertically.

Mine is 34" square and I used charm packs as a fabric starting point.The blocks are small.

Two months ago I saw this top for sale by Cindy Rennels, my friendly "antique quilts" pusher/dealer, who seems to know what I like:

It struck me as very similar to mine, though the blocks are much larger--this quilt is 63" x 94". It doesn't have any flying geese, but it does have X blocks, also called Old Italian Block, and nine patches.

The old top has lots of "issues"--it's wobbly, not the same size from edge to edge in any direction. It will never be finished unless I took it all apart and I am not doing that. The fabrics are thin, a few are crunchy, it just needs to be cared for in its' old age. It does make an interesting fabric study piece. Some of the darks are old purples--so I love that. The old pink is really thin but it sure adds needed light to the center.

Since the price wasn't too high and it looks so much like my ORIGINAL designed quilt, I just had to buy it. The note Cindy included with the quilt said it came from Berks County, PA--my home state--another "it was meant to be" moment for this quilt.

Often, people think they own the design of old quilts they have acquired--that always strikes me as odd. The original maker was the designer, we just get to care for and love old quilts in our collection. If they inspire us or others, so much the better.

Perhaps it will inspire you to make a simple quilt, maybe from "orphan" blocks. Simple can be lovely.

Check out Cindy's Antique Quilts--maybe you'll find something you just have to have too. Follow Cindy on Instagram where she often puts up new items for sale--@cindysantiqequilts.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

3 comments:

  1. It's beautiful. I love you are now the new caretaker of this beautiful quilt. You're right, of course, simple can be lovely. BUT -- Your quilt is still a Barbara Black ORIGINAL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quilts. They are heart warming. The interesting thing is you made your quilt before your acquired the old one, and yet they are still very similar in design. Even as a pictorial art quilter I also run into situations where there are quilts very similar to those I have either made or were planning to make. I still think though if you dream it up out of your own head it is your original quilt design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting to see the similarities between the two quilts.
    I like how the bottom of the one you bought contains random blocks.

    ReplyDelete