Sunday, September 1, 2019

SIZZLE Block 9

This is the  2019 Block of the Month from The Quilt Show. This quilt pattern designed by Becky Goldsmith is FREE to Star Members.  Join Today  to be part of the fun.

Be sure to READ ALL THE GENERAL DIRECTIONS and WATCH ALL THE VIDEOS. Each month's pattern has detailed instructions as well. 

PRIOR POSTS WITH HELPFUL INFORMATION:

Block 1
Block 2
Block 3
Block 4
Block 5
Block 6
Month 7
Month 8

CUTTING NOTE: for the last few blocks, I check to see if I have leftover pieces of the required fabrics I can use to cut some of the pieces BEFORE I cut the strips called for in the pattern. I have been able to save at least one strip each month--this will come in handy for the pieced border I will be doing with my Cool Kit version.

We made it to Month 9 and I believe we have saved the best for last:

This block consists of 3 rings, each set into the other. The small Center Circle is the same size we made in Blocks 4 and 8--you will use the paper patterns for the center circle that you saved from printing Month 4. Refer back to Months 4 or 8 if you need help making the center circle.

I organized the cut fabrics for the Inner Ring beside my machine. Once I determined how to place fabrics 1 and 2, I stacked them all up ready to go. This is one of the odd angles where you want to be sure fabric 2 will cover space 2 on the pattern--use a pin to check first, before sewing. Remember, the back side of fabric 1 is touching the wrong side of the paper pattern for piece #1:


The Inner Ring is similar to the units we made in  Month 8--when trimming the excess paper and fabric away, you can see the edges are not complete straight lines, they are cut in two passes on each side. I have drawn a red line to show where to pivot as you trim the outer edges:


Trimmed on the left, waiting to be trimmed on the right--I love Karen K Buckley's Perfect Scissors:



When preparing to sew two Inner Ring units together, you  will find it helps to tear the paper where the two lines change direction--I sewed these in two separate steps but having the paper torn at the "bend" makes the second seam so much easier to align and pin before sewing:

Join all the Inner Ring units and remove the paper. Following the same steps as in Months 4 and 8, pin and piece the Center Circle into the Inner Ring center. Slow and steady is the way to go--pin all the intersections carefully--then sew slowly, using a stiletto or other sharp pointy object to keep the outer edges aligned as you sew. Becky has a video of this process:  


 Next, make the Outer Ring--there are 3 patterns/page and we print 3 pages--this makes 9 paper patterns for the Outer Ring BUT we only need 8:


The units are easy to sew, the two on the left are not trimmed, the two on the right are:

 As usual, I find it very helpful to use a small dot of glue stick on the outer edges, just inside the seam allowances, to hold the fabric to the paper before trimming the curved edges with scissors--I made a small X on the two locations where I put a dot of glue stick:

With the first half, I didn't trim them all before joining them into a half. I found it was easier if I did trim them so for the other half I trimmed, then joined:


Complete Outer Ring:

Be sure you read the instructions--mark the small dot printed on the Outer Ring pattern to the seam allowance of the Outer Ring BEFORE you remove the paper:


Since you successfully joined the Center Circle to the Inner Ring, this next step will be a breeze--pin the Outer Ring to the Inner Ring, matching the marked dots. Sew slow and steady and all will be well:


Add the Block Corners and your final block is done! You should say to yourself, out loud:

"I am awesome!"  Think of all you have learned so far this year.

Next month we are on to the applique' borders.

Let's quilt.

Barbara



2 comments:

  1. I just want to say thank you for your posts on the Sizzle BOM. Even though I'm not participating, I've learned much about paper piecing and pressing blocks with so many parts that come to a point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail. Each of the BOM quilts teaches us a lot, not just about that project. The applique is up next and the instructions carry over to all kinds of applique.

      Delete