Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Teaching Locally

Since I am home for a while, before a busy travel schedule begins, I have several local classes.

The other day I taught Smitten to 4 quilters:

My Sample

Blocks on the wall at the end of the day

Trish

Karen

Robin


Carolyn

They enjoyed learning that Y seams aren't HARD, they are just not FAST.

On President's Day, I taught Patriotic Pineapples to 8 students:

Blocks on the wall at the end of the day
They used either the Pineapple Trim Tool ruler from Creative Grids OR the Trash to Treasure Ruler from Gyleen Fitzgerald--both make 8" Pineapple blocks, with 1" finished logs. Each person learned how to use the ruler she brought to class.  

In the afternoon, I showed them how to paper piece the block, if they wanted to. Some had never tried paper piecing before so it was something new to learn. Most kept going with regular piecing and their ruler--the second block comes together much faster than the first.

It was interesting to me that several students had wanted to make a Pineapple quilt for years and either had not started yet or could not understand the instructions with their ruler or pattern. Having a class available made it the right time for these quilters to start this project. Great quilts in the making.

The REAL reason I offered this class is to force me to get back to my Patriotic Pineapple quilt, that WILL be finished this year:

Only 46 blocks to go...
Coming up soon locally is my favorite class to teach: Antique Rose Star by Machine. I teach this all over the country to large classes and we have such a great time:


March 7 and 21, 2020, Huntsville Sew Creative. If you are local, please don't miss this opportunity--this is the only time I will offer this class this year locally. You will be amazed at what you learn and how easy these blocks, with 72 pieces in each, can be to make.

Let's quilt!

Barbara

5 comments:

  1. I was one of the lucky 4 in Barbara’s Smitten class last week. Great experience mastering Y seams. Thank you, I look forward to taking another class with you! ❤️RA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need the Y-Seam lesson. Too bad I am not local.
    Am loving the Patriotic Pineapple! I have tried tried making them with a ruler--always just foundation pieced, but I have been interested in trying a ruler. Is there one you prefer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creative Grids Pineapple Trim Tool makes a 6”, 8”, or 10” block, good directions, video available on their website. There is also a mini version that makes up to a 6” size.

      Delete
  3. Great job, ladies!!! Reflects a fabulous teacher!!!

    ReplyDelete