Wednesday, April 13, 2022

AdventureLand Quilts

 About a month ago I saw a new quilt pattern on Instagram that was soon to be released by Suzy Quilts. I had not heard  of that company before but thought the design was simple and interesting. When it was released, I bought the PDF pattern, dug out a blue/white jelly roll and made the baby size at my Joyful Journey retreat.

The Baby size, about 41" square. I find after washing/drying, this one is a bit "wavy"--fine for a simple baby quilt but it would have benefitted from blocking--something I don't want to do for a "utility" quilt:


Easy enough, so I got out another jelly roll to make the Throw size, about 60" square. I couldn't handle the Kaffe Fassett fabrics side by side so I inserted a blue or green solid between the busy prints. After washing/drying, this one is much less wavy--could be better quality jelly roll strips: 

The instructions are clear enough. The directions to press all the seams open are not what I would do, IF I intended to stitch-in-the-ditch. You need to HAVE a DITCH if that is your plan. But I usually follow the directions the first time. The small blue and white one has seams pressed open but all the strips are stitched in the ditch as well as down the center of each strip. It would have been easier to do the ditch quilting had there been a ditch. The large white triangles are free motion quilted with paisley feathers, more or less.

For the larger quilt, I pressed the seams to one side, toward the prints, then first quilted in the ditch across the two center diagonals. Then I quilted "swirly circles" in two quadrants of strips, "swirly leaves" in the other two quadrants of strips, and in the large blue triangles I quilts "curvy cross hatch".  No marking, easy quilting, great way to practice free-motion or ruler work quilting. 

All in all, the quilt tops were quick to make and quick to quilt. Not likely to become a "go-to" pattern for me, but fun enough to whip up for something new.

A few "glamour shots":

Throw size, the front

Throw size, the back

Baby size, the front

Baby size, the back

To see a large number of these quilts, go to Instagram or Facebook and search for #advernturelandquilt or #adventurelandquiltsa   Wonderful fabric selection can really make this a beautiful quilt.

The pattern includes instructions for two additional bed sizes, twin and queen/full--those sizes use yardage as jelly rolls are not long enough.

There is a Sew-a-Long going on for this quilt at the moment--see the link above to Suzy Quilts.

Let's quilt.

Barbara


1 comment: