Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Nature and Wildlife

 I walk about an hour a day each morning, 6 days a week. Usually alternating neighborhood streets so the view changes a little bit. Come along and see what I see.

These deep pink/red crepe myrtle trees are on our property line, belonging to the neighbors next door. But we asked to maintain them so as to avoid "crepe murder". The purple ones are on our yard:


One of our other crepe myrtles. Unlike the lilacs I grew up with in Pennsylvania, these blooms have almost no scent, but they sure are pretty:

Wildlife I see daily include squirrels, lots of those, chipmunks--too fast to photograph, the occasional bunny, and lots of Canadian geese. They are lovely birds but big birds mean BIG droppings and when they cross the road the sidewalks get really messy. People in this neighborhood have to hose off their sidewalks frequently:




Where the geese live. This neighborhood is about 10 years old. The detention ponds were built to handle runoff and provided the fill dirt to raise the lots up to meet newer flood zone requirements. The geese live here much of the year until they fly away and others take their place. There are two of these big ponds in this neighborhood so lots of room for lots of geese. I enjoy seeing them fly over in formation during the Spring and Fall migrations: 


This crepe myrtle caught my eye for it's rich, deep, almost red color:


These garden plantings are lovely and I told the homeowner how much I appreciated her hard work as I passed by: 

This older home has a beautiful side/back yard, very shady: 

The view of that same yard through a line of lovely crepe myrtles: 

Finally, back at my home. My husband is the gardener and he has an affinity for coleus plants. Each year we seek out new varieties. These like the semi-shade of the east-facing front yard: 

So what does this all have to do with quilting? I use the colors I see around me or in photographs to plan new quilt designs. One of the best photos used for a quilt is this rooster:


I made two quilts using this palette as a starting point. This is My Favorite Things:

Let's quilt.

Barbara


4 comments:

  1. I walk everyday also for about an hour. My dog loves strutting her stuff. I love the change of seasons and getting fresh air. Since I too have multiple routes, I see lots to keep my mind alert. Let's walk! Then later ... "Let's Quilt!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the photos! great eye for detail and color! Colorado does not have crepe myrtles, but there are other growing things that I am learning. I do love color and how to use it in the home and garden.
    Someone else who is quite observant and creative:
    Dawn Rosengren is an artist who lives near Huntsville--she designs fabric for Henry Glass fabrics. Her "You are Loved" line consists of subtle colors and animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the crepe myrtles. They are just starting to bloom in Santa Rosa, CA. Your Favorite things quilt is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just walk about 30 minutes a day, and I enjoyed seeing where you go for your daily walks. I also see the geese--and sometimes skunks, sandhill cranes, cows, horses, sheep, llamas, etc. And I always hear the peacocks on the farm to our west. I do NOT see the well manicured lawns--including my own. :)

    ReplyDelete