Sunday, July 3, 2022

PROGRESS ON PROJECTS

 I've been working on a several projects at the same time, my typical process. 

Whenever I teach Antique Rose Star by Machine, I come home eager to make more blocks myself. I have Kite templates in various sizes: 1.5", 2", 2.375", 3", 4" and 5". It was time to make one BIG block with the 5" Kite, as a table topper and as a visual when teaching. It took very little time to make this:

Front  34" across the middle

Back

These would make great gifts--I received one as a gift made from a 4" kite but always have to remember to take it when teaching. This one can live in my teaching bag for this class. 

No binding or batting--I used a fabric as the "inner layer" to provide a little stability. Finishing was the "pillow" method--layer top/back right sides together, put inner layer on the bottom, sew all around the outer edge, leaving a 3-4" opening to turn right side out. Slipstitch the opening closed then some minor straight line quilting and it's done!

Garden Party Down Under is more than half way done for 2022, the Block of the Month for www.thequiltshow.com. I love my complete quilt made last year to test the pattern, with help from the wonderful Sunday Sew and Sews. 

This year I am making parts to have visuals for demos and the LIVE broadcasts I do for The Quilt Show. I didn't want to make a second complete large quilt this year. So far, I have two wallhanging tops made. This most recent one uses blocks from Months 3-7:

50" square

Earlier, I decided Months 1 and 2 make a perfectly good wallhanging so this top is also done:

38" square


Eventually, I'll prepare backs and batting for both of these and quilt them.

Then there's the Neutral Quilt I've been working on. I wrote about this twice recently, find out more HERE  My first blocks were darker than I expected so I made four more, somewhat lighter, and will place them in the middle:


All the fabrics for the remaining 8 blocks are cut out and waiting. I sew a couple of these in between doing other things. It shouldn't take long to make those 8 blocks but I'm getting busy and will travel to Salt Lake City and Long Beach in this next month. So this will have to wait.

The newest start is getting all my extra attention now. It's a gift for a man who said his favorite color is blue. The pattern is from thimblesandneedles, an Australian designer. Patterns are available on Etsy:


Not all the parts are there yet but all the pieces are cut and ready to be used as Leaders/Enders while I work on other things. My plan is to push hard on this in the next two weeks so the top is done before I go to International Quilt Festival in Salt Lake City. Having it on the wall now makes it easier to work on it as time is available. I am debating whether the perimeter triangles will be various blues or various whites. I'm leaning toward blue.

What are you working on? 

Let's quilt.

Barbara







1 comment:

  1. The Antique Rose Star is a beautiful block and sure made a lovely table topper. Love all your "smaller" GPDU quilts too!

    ReplyDelete