Sunday, April 2, 2023

HARMONY OF QUILTING CRUISE -- PART ONE

 I recently had the pleasure of "Teaching at Sea" on a Stitchin Heaven Quilt Cruise. My husband was able to go with me so it was truly a working vacation.

Royal Caribbean's Harmony of the Seas is a beautiful ship and was close to full with more than 6600 passengers and 2500 crew onboard. It never felt crowded and I quickly found my way around easily. Embarkation and Disembarkation was easily and quick, compared to what it could be. It takes a while to get that many people on and off a ship this size.

Some photos to temp you to join us on the next one:







The food and service was excellent: 

My usual lunch

Delicious dinner of salmon

My everyday breakfast

Another lunch 

The stateroom, 9138, was good size and there was adequate storage for two people who brought way too many clothes. Our cabin steward did an excellent job keeping it clean and ready for us each day:




I loved the balcony and wouldn't cruise without one--it was an upgrade to my contract

The classrooms were in the Conference Center on Deck 3. We had about 72 students, 36 in each room. I taught half of them one day while April Jaehn taught the other half. The next day she and I switched rooms and taught the other half. It worked well:

The Group Photo


Each student used a new Bernina 475 for the week


This student finished BOTH TOPS! Lisa rocks.

That Yoda Guy--the other class project,  completed by Denise


Scrappy Plus--my class project--I made this sample 3 years ago for a 2021 cruise that was cancelled


My husband and I rarely go out and dressing up is also rare. So I enjoyed "dressing for dinner" and the two "formal nights""

First formal night--very smart casual

Sunsets and sunrises are my favorite--I made sure to see them both

Caribbean night--I bought this dress in Hawaii in 2004, haven't worn it since

Second formal night--I loved this outfit, silk culottes have been in the closet 20 years

There was a Tribute to Veterans that I really appreciated: 

Glad I brought this t-shirt and hadn't worn it to exercise yet

A band played music and a cast member sang The Star Spangled Banner well--that means a lot to me

Cruise Director Dan did a great job with the Tribute

My favorite place on the ship was Deck 5, the Running Track. It went completely around the ship. I was there each morning by 5:45, sometimes earlier, and walked for an hour minimum. The longest day I walked 12 laps, 5 miles. Most days I did 3.5-4 miles. I saw the sunrise each day, had the place to myself mostly, and came home up 4 pounds that were totally gone by the second morning home. I call that a WIN!

Signs on the bulkhead say "One Lap to Go" "or Maybe Three" "Tonight's Dessert" "Can be Guilt Free" 

My personal sunrise each morning


The weather was perfect, 70's to 80's, no rain, calm seas. We got off the ship at the first port, St. Maarten, but stayed onboard for St. Thomas and Coco Cay. I was happy to have 6000 of my closest friends get off the ship and leave me to myself in the pool. See PART TWO--coming Wednesday April 5, a special Wednesday Edition, since there are still so many photos.

I worked all day when we boarded early to set up all those machines/tables/chairs. I taught all day the 3 sea days and spent two hours one night "on duty" to help any students who needed assistance. The rest of the time was my own. 

All in all, it was a super wonderful trip and I am happy to say I'll be back onboard for a 2024 cruise with Stitchin Heaven--this time to Alaska. Save your pennies now and join us! Alaska Legacy Quilting Voyage, August 9-16, 2024. More information will be posted soon at Stitchin Heaven Travel Cruises.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

6 comments:

  1. While cruising isn't my thing, your vacation sounds amazing, busy yet relaxing. Congratulations on the weight control. I imagine that isn't typical for most passengers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a wonderful time. I am not a cruise person but would love to take a class from you (on land). I like the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been on a cruise. Nice they did a tribute to veterans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a wonderful time, Barbara. I loved having a balcony on our cruise to Alaska last year. Great way to watch the sun rise and set!
    Sounds like you have the routine down, and were in control! Kudos on the maintaining of your weight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed thus cruise also. You helped me one evening teaching me the needle turn applique technique. I have finished the one Hawaiian quilt block. I love it and plan to make another one. I have room for improvement and with practice it will meet my higher standards. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more you do the better you will get. Sorry I didn’t have my threads with me to share, that fine thread really helps.

      Delete