Sunday, April 30, 2023

HOMEWARD BOUND -- MONTH 5

  This quilt is the 2023 Block of the Month quilt for The Quilt Show. It was designed by Sarah Fielke exclusively for The Quilt Show and is only available at The Quilt Show. The best news is it's FREE for Star Members of The Quilt Show. Each month in 2023 a new part of the quilt is released for download to Star Members. 

This month we make the pieced border that surrounds the center of the quilt:

With ONE EXCEPTION--the stars in the corners are made in Month 6--when ALL THE STARS for the entire quilt are made.

Sarah gives instructions for making the Half Square Triangle units (HST) two ways. The first is using squares cut in half on the diagonal. These are then sewn to background triangles and made the correct size.

In her Month 5 VIDEO she shows how to use her HST ruler to make the correct size HST. Any HST ruler will work if you don't have the Homeward Bound Accessory Kit.

I start with 3" squares, not 2 7/8", easier to cut and allows for trimming

After pressing seam to one side I trimmed to 2.5"

I pressed seam allowances in opposite directions

I pressed the center seam open



The smaller HST are made the same way and rectangles of background fabric completes them:


The applique little leaves and berries are fun to make. Watch Sarah's Month 3 VIDEO to see how she places the leaves  in the correct spot. 

After all the applique you have done so far, this month will seem like a breeze.

Here is a partial image of Sarah's middle: 




NOTE: While I am using the Kit, I worked on Month 5 before I received the Kit so some of the fabrics I used are not Kit fabrics.

Next month it's on to the STARS!

I am GONE TO TEXAS from April 30-May 9, teaching for 3 guilds. Info is in the TEACHING CALENDAR schedule, right up there on the top bar.

Let's quilt.

Barbara


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the size of the units. That's something I notice that Sarah doesn't include in the written instructions. I'm going to make flying geese instead of HSTs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've watched her video and it only covers the HSTs. Is there another video with the leaf placement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Month 3 Video shows the leaf used in both Month 3 and 5.

      Delete
    2. the only place I saw it referenced was in Month 5 written instructions.

      Delete