Sunday, May 14, 2023

FOUR CORNERS QUILT GUILD--DURANGO, COLORADO

 I recently had the pleasure to travel to Durango, CO to be the featured teacher/speaker at the Four Corners Quilt Guild's annual meeting. This was the first time in 3 years they had a face-to-face meeting--you know why. 

They are a very talented and welcoming group and I enjoyed my visit immensely. Here are a lot of photos that tell the story:

My view of the La Plata range as we approached Durango--snow in April does not compute for me:


The wonderful Barb Morgan met me and we set off for the General Palmer Hotel, a Victorian property in the heart of Durango. I was surprised with a very much appreciated goodie bag in my room:




My lovely room, small but so comfortable and lots of storage. My quilt was perfect: 



Breakfast each morning was good and ready at 7 am: 


The first day's class was LOVE YOUR LAYOUT--a design class that is FUN. The Students did great:



A look at a few of the quilts being made in class:




This student inadvertently brought 8" blocks to class instead of 4" so she was able to make a twin size quilt: 


Charlotte brought pinwheels to class, an option, and was able to finish her quilt in class: 

Saturday was the annual meeting, with over 100 attendees. Lots of work goes into a meeting like this and it showed with all the table decorations and lots of wonderful giveaway prizes. 




I always enjoy Show and Tell and it was so good to see a few finished Block of the Month quilts from The Quilt Show. And to hear that my blog and help on the Forum are appreciated:

Color My World, pattern by Wendy Williams



Garden Party Down Under, pattern by Irene Blanck



After a great lunch, it was time for my Presentation: The Hard Stuff--a look at complex quilt patterns: 


As this was the 30th year for the Four Corners Quilt Guild, they did a bit of reminiscing about previous events.  I was honored to see the good company I keep, being part of this esteemed group of quilt teachers who preceded me:


Sunday was the class CHARMING SAMPLER. I love to teach this one, it is an original design that starts with a Charm Pack. These are 3" blocks and everyone did great and learned a lot:


                                         

The next day I was off to the small Durango airport early. So early, no gate agents were there for an hour. And TSA was closed, until an hour before the next flight out. No problem, I just waited until they
appeared and all was well.

Love a small  airport--lots of plugs for charging devices, only one gate area to serve two airlines, a little snack bar place right there with all the chairs:







All four of my flights, going and coming home, were on time and uneventful. All in all, a great trip.

Thanks to the wonderful women of the Four Corners Quilt Guild!

Let's quilt,

Barbara



7 comments:

  1. Great! No glitches with the air travel nor the baggage arrival. The classes look like loads of fun and education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really enjoyed the day. It was fun to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Virginia RobertsonMay 16, 2023 at 6:32 AM

    It was fun to see you again! We all enjoyed your talk and show and tell. Good luck on your teaching travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Virginia. And thank you for the gift in the mail!

      Delete
  4. It was a Fantastic Four Corners experience! Thanks to the Two Barbaras and everyone else who helped!

    ReplyDelete