Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Works in Progress

I finally got to start a new quilt I've been wanting to do.  It will be a class this fall at my local quilt shop then a graduation gift for my niece.
This needs 3 more borders--I'll do those tomorrow.  The pattern is Josephine's Knot from Calico Carriage Quilt Designs.  Very easy, no triangles, just straight lines.  The borders will add a lot of depth too.  Stay tuned...

Last week I taught a class on hand piecing hexagons--English paper piecing is the technique.


This very old piecing method is enjoying quite a renaissance in the quilt world right now.  I think Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville.com fame  is partly responsible for this. She has been working on an awesome hexagon mosaic quilt for the last 13 years--it's her travel project.  So many people have seen it as she has traveled to teach around the world.  Here is her Hexie project: Bonnie Hunter's Hexie Progress  Bonnie has a terrific blog I follow, she provides many photos of the places she is visiting as well as her trips to fun antique malls.    I work on mine when I travel--it's an easy to carry little project and will eventually finish at crib-size.

We are hot, hot, hot here, like so many places this week--over 100 yesterday with more of that in the next few days.  I'm picking blackberries early, making sure the potted plants are watered, then spending the rest of the day inside.  This is not my most favorite season!

What are YOU working on?

Let's quilt!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Barbara -- that may be a class I have to take. I love the look of that -- very fun!!! I think my sweet DIL would like it, too! (Thinking Christmas here!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, save the date: Saturday October 6, 9-4. With all the cutting and sewing tips I'll give, most students will get most of the top done in class--and this is a quilt men will love, no flowers or curvy things! Teens, too, love the optical illusion here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started a Bonnie Hunter strip twist quilt in black/white/red for my 18yo son. The knot quilt might just be the answer for my 15yo's quilt! It took me awhile to settle on a pattern that wasn't to "girly" for this one :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, nothing girly about this one if I had replaced the bright pink with a different color. Borders are almost done and I really like it.

      Delete
  4. Nice soft colors - nice quilt in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for joining HeLP! I should make another flower type hexie quilt with the tiny diamonds...I just like the look of that little bit of color.

    ReplyDelete