Sunday, June 9, 2019

Do I NEED More Fabric?

No, of course, not. But when a friend is giving away her lifetime supply of quilting fabric and works in progress, well, I just had to help her out.

Promptly at 2 pm, about a dozen of Janet's quilting friends showed up, mostly Sunday Sew and Sews. Rules were passed out, the garage door was opened at 2, and about 100  banker's boxes were revealed--free for the taking. We were asked to take no more than 4 boxes each, and you had to take the whole box, no sorting through--you got the entire box. Most were color-coordinated already or full of things like batiks.

Here is what I got:




Those who arrived at 2:12 got nothing! Yes, 95% of all the boxes and bags with tops and works in progress were gone in 10 minutes.

Now I will sort through these boxes and decide what I really want. The rest will go to the Sunday Sew and Sews meeting today--a couple of the latecomers will be delighted to still get some. Stay tuned to see what I keep.

The one thing I was most excited about:


Two and a half yards of this old fabric. Years ago, my son, Andy, had the nickname "Mr. Flameshoes" because he had black shoes with this flame pattern on them. He was, and still is, a skateboarder so I made him a "Mr. Flameshoes" quilt. The fabric is long gone but now I can make his little boy, Sam, a "Mr. Flameshoes" quilt someday--this fabric alone was worth the trip!

Andy's quilt, "Mr. Flameshoes":


Janet will continue making quilts but not at the pace she had. She was thrilled to have the burden of all this great stuff out of her house. I can relate but am not ready to go that route yet...

Remember, your kids don't want your stuff.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

6 comments:

  1. I love this story and it should remind every quilter that our kids absolutely do not want our stuff and the best move to make is to make sure it goes to someone who will appreciate it. Thanks, Barbara, for this excellent post and I'm thrilled for you in finding that precious-to-you 2-1/2 yards of flame fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so coming to terms with “your children don’t want your stuff”. This is a beautiful distribution of love going to those who will love as well. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great that she could let go of her fabric like that and know who it is going to. I am really proud of her as a quilter. I came to terms a long time ago that my kids won't want anything but quilts and maybe quilt tops! Unlike Janet, I haven't let go of mine yet. I am purposing to sew up my fabric before I die and I haven't bought any fabric in a while. I am still going to need to live a long time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful friend you are to help out your friend like that and what a beautiful friend she is for sharing her bounty with her friends. I worry about burdening my family with all the fabric and craft stuff. I hope when I get to that point, I will remember this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am aware my kids don't want my stuff. I have quilts that are precious to me I won't part with and I freely give quilts. However, if they say "blanket" the gift is rescinded. My fabric stash will stay with me until I am done with it or it is done with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, what fun! Sounds like grab boxes instead of grab bags. And you scored with the flame fabric you wanted.

    ReplyDelete