Sunday, November 17, 2019

Art Gallery Fabrics Garments

I've been asked about the Education Show Team Garments.


Each year, we are provided fabrics from one or two manufacturers to make garments we wear at Market and Festival. We can make whatever we like, and we select up to 5 yards of the fabric lines that are offered.

This started many years ago. I remember telling Judy Murrah after my first year on the team that planning my wardrobe was the hardest part of the job. We are expected to look professional--no jeans, no exercise clothes, etc., but have to be comfortable since our jobs involve a lot of physical activity.

Judy came up with the idea to have fabrics donated to the team. It's been more than 20 years and this is still the way it works.

This year we asked Art Gallery Fabrics to be one the wonderful companies that support us in this way. Their collection "Indie Folk" by designer Pat Bravo, really caught our attention at Spring Market. Happily, they agreed.

I sent out information to the 21 members of our Education Show team and they selected up to 5 yards from the line. After double-checking their selections for accuracy, I sent the order to the company and they sent the fabrics to each person. Each person told me how excited they were about this collection!

The fabrics I selected with the pattern I planned to use:


Here are a few closeups:

The Market Team, Mechelle and Barbara C are missing
Sheryl and Cassie

Anne and Sue B

Sue H

Tanya and Cassie, caught studying the Schedule board

Tanya and Cassie, face front

Each year it is fun to see what our folks make. We wear specific garments on specific days. While we look similar, we are not the same. The garments help make us identifiable as "staff" and planning our wardrobes is easier.  I bring several pair of black slacks, a variety of knit tops and 3 pair of comfortable shoes--it works!

We will wear these garments at our shows for the next 3 years, before they are "retired" as we add new garments every year.

It's a good thing we get 5 yards. The jacket I made was too big, too bulky, too "not wonderful" for these great fabrics. After taking it in some, I still didn't like it so I used the remaining fabric to make a simple tunic top. I could take the jacket all apart, and re-do it for next year, and I might. I might not, time will tell...

The reject

The replacement
A Huge "THANK YOU!" to the fine folks at Art Gallery Fabrics.

We appreciate the generosity of the companies that provide us their newest fabrics. The garments serve us well in our jobs and help to show off these latest prints. And, of course, packing for 13 days in Houston is easier, really.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

7 comments:

  1. Fun to see these awesome garments this morning. What talented ladies. I am such a fan of yours. So look forward to your posts. Thank uou!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabrics and colors are beautiful. What pattern did you use for the tunic?
    Always enjoy your posts!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a free pattern:

      https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2014/05/04/corinnes-thread-boxy-tee-three-ways/

      Delete
  3. fun garments - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't made clothes for myself in about 16 years!! Don't know if I would know how to do it anymore.
    You always create nice things to wear. Fun to see what everyone makes.

    ReplyDelete