Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Faithful Circle Quilters of Downer's Grove, IL

I recently had the pleasure of visiting the Faithful Circle Quilters outside Chicago. They are celebrating their 45th anniversary and it was easy to see why--happy people, active guild  with both charitable and quilt-related activities to keep everyone engaged.

As I didn't get any photos of the people I snagged this one from their Facebook page:


Flights up and back were easy and uneventful, the best thing you can hope for with travel. I was met at O'Hare by the delightful Annabelle J and Mary Lee S, who have been my contacts for more than a year.

After getting checked in to the hotel and changing clothes for the evening lecture, we headed out to a great quilt shop before dinner:




Good thing I don't live here, I did a little retail therapy.

After a fun and delicious dinner at Pierce Tavern, we headed off to the meeting location. Once my PowerPoint was loaded and working perfectly, all was well and I could relax. The lecture "Time Management for Quilters" was very well-received--let's just say we laugh a lot as we learn. 

After a good night's sleep under the workshop quilt it was back to the same location for class:



The Antique Rose Star workshop is one of my favorites to teach. 20 terrific quilters of all levels and ages had a good day. Here are a few photos:

Repros on a Featherweight

Such happy fabrics

Not a black and white photo--the fabrics are neutrals

Playing with Magic Mirrors

Diane came from Wisconsin more than 2 hours north to join the fun
This class is the rare one that can also easily be hand pieced. We had one woman who decide to "slow sew" her block:


Occasionally, a student has the coolest thing. How about your own personal cutting table, able to be taken to workshops/retreats. Gail has a handy husband who made this for her:


 Parts are easily purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot, select the size legs that raise the table to your perfect height. Remove them quickly for transport:


Too soon the day was done. Dinner was calling--I can also recommend Cozymel's for great Mexican food. Back to the hotel for one more night. The next morning my friends Annabelle and Mary Lee picked me up early for the trip back to O'Hare.

We had traveling mercies and made it in less than half the time we allowed; TSA Security was quick too so I was at the gate with two hours to spare, just the way I like it. Made it home by early afternoon.

While a quick trip, it was a great one and I truly enjoyed my time with this guild and my wonderful "assistants". If you are in the area, look up the Faithful Circle Quilters--you will be made welcome.

Let's quilt.

Barbara


4 comments:

  1. The Quilt Merchant is a fabulous shop! I used to go every summer when I went to Illinois.
    Looks like you had a great trip and that cutting table is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a nice review. Your lecture was entertaining and helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy your blogposts! Just full of delight! HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU MY FRIEND......all my hugs, Teresa Wertz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a wonderful time, and I'm sure your students did as well.
    That cutting table is genius!

    ReplyDelete