Sunday, November 10, 2019

International Quilt Festival 2019--the Quilts

The interesting thing about big quilt shows is which quilts grab you enough to make you want to take a photo. Houston is a HUGE show, easily more than a thousand quilts on display, some in the IQA judged show, "A World of Beauty",  and many more in the 35 Special Exhibits.

Here are just a few--the ones I took time to photograph.

It is the Sapphire Celebration--45 years and Festival is still going strong. The blue and white quilts hung in the air were spectacular:


Mine is in the middle, Spellbound, a pattern by Debbie Maddy:




Quilts I loved enough to take a photo:


This is truly an International show--this maker is from Israel:



Log Cabin: 100K Artist, Amy Pabst--this exhibit was astounding. Watch this Video interview to see the size of these quilts! And, the maker is 31 years old--I am thrilled to see young quiltmakers following their passion.


 The maker made many Log Cabin quilts, with very narrow logs, and counted ALL the pieces until she had made quilts in this series that totaled at least 100,000 pieces--a woman after my own heart. The catalog says there are a total of 102,779 individual fabric pieces in the quilts in this exhibit. 

I wish I  had photographed more of them:




This Special Exhibit was very moving:




The Bob Ross Cherrywood Challenge was fun to look at, all those "Happy Little Trees", here are just a few of the many in the Exhibit:


This one stopped me in my tracks--it won the Pfaff Master Award for Machine Artistry, a $5000 prize:

 I'm in the Pineapple Zone, working on one currently, this was so colorful:


 My good friend, Eileen Williams, is a wonderful Fiber Artist and she had two quilts in the Judged show:




Read the information card to find out why this quilt is titled "Second Chance":



Antique quilts always speak to me and this was no exception:


I did buy an antique quilt top from Cindy Rennels, this top is such an amazing collection of fabrics, some more than 125 years old:

 We believe the embroidery in the center of the top says:

"Pre(sented) to (Fl)orence Dec 25, 1887":

I now know what my Second Lifetime Quilt will be--a collection of small versions of this block in a wide variety of layouts. Since I still have a bunch of those small half square triangle units left.

My time on the show floor is limited and I saw lots more than I photographed. If you were there, your photos probably look nothing like mine--that's the beauty of such a big show. There is something to inspire everyone.

Here is a complete list of all the Winners. in the Judged show.

In a few days I'll have another post--about the PEOPLE.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing so many wonderful photos from the show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your amazing purchase!
    Not all quilts appeal to everyone, and that is what I love about this quilt show! There is so many for all kinds of quilters to see.
    I loved the quilts as therapy. Do you mind if I take your write up on "Shock and Awe"? I was so moved by it I didn't get a photo of the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always appreciate you IG/FB/blogs posts and pics through these types of events. I enjoy them vicariously through you and really do get a kick seeing them through your perspective. Some day I will make it to Houston. It's on my bucket list!!!! Your B&W quilt was beautiful--a lovely addition to Houston! :)

    ReplyDelete