Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Antique Rose Stars

Today I head to the Chicago area to visit the Faithful Circle Quilters.

Tonight is the lecture: "Time Management for Quilters", a topic that always gets good reviews. Find just a few of my top time management tips HERE.

Tomorrow we spend the day making Antique Rose Star blocks, one of my favorite workshops to teach:



I have written about this workshop a few times before, here is one of those posts:

Needle Chasers Guild of Iuka, MS

In case you think all a quilt teacher does is show up to teach a class, here are some to the things I did recently to prepare for this job:

1. Revised the multi-page Handout
2. Had the Handout printed
3. Made half of a 2" sample block
4. Reviewed all the steps in the instructions to be prepared
5. Packed everything needed for the class along with my supplies for demos--this includes the template sets students get--they had to be ordered weeks ago
6. Reviewed the PowerPoint, updated a few photos
7. Selected a variety of quilts to show during the lecture
8. Got excited to be able to present both this particular lecture, which I know helps quilters, and this fun class I love to teach

I am certainly not complaining--I love my job. There is just so much behind the scenes work that people don't see or think about. This contract was booked more than a year ago and since that time airplane tickets were bought and a hotel booked. A detailed Supply List was prepared and sent more than 6 months ago along with a couple sample blocks I made so they could see the actual block.

Here is the half block I made to test the small template:


Some prior student work:

Anna G

Celia J

Jodie L

Catherine B

Cathy R
Look for some great quilts from the Faithful Quilters.

Let's Quilt.

Barbara

5 comments:

  1. I'm one of the two holders of your quilt in the picture! What an honor! We loved your presentation at the Iuka guild quilt show that year! Marilyn Marks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I love my visits with your guild, a lovely group of wonderful women.

      Delete
  2. I look forward to hearing about your trip to Faithful Circle.
    Oh now that I teach, I so get the hours that go into the preparation. This is why my quilts take so long now.
    interesting to read your process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a great time with this lovely guild. Happy attendees at the lecture, happy students in class, great food, terrific helpers who took me around. Will do a blog post in a few days with photos.

      Delete
  3. I finished my two half blocks this morning ! Very pleased with how they turned out. Will try to send you a picture Barbara!

    ReplyDelete